INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MC17 Support ALAC?  (Read 1344 times)

haralson

• Recent member
Does MC17 Support ALAC?
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:06:06 am »

I would like to listen to ALAC files on my MC17, but I am unable to make them play. When I click on an ALAC file, I see a flickering hour-glass icon, but I hear nothing. The only way to clear the icon is to quit JRiver and re-launch it.

I selected "AAC Audio (m4a, acc)" to play ALAC because dBPowerAmp indicates the extension "m4a" for ALAC files. However, I am told that the two formats are not compatible.

ALAC is not listed amongst the File Types shown in MC 17 under Tools > Options > File Types. Neither does it appear in the listing of supported file types at http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Formats.

However, at http://www.jriver.com/audio.html, at the bottom of the page under "More", appears the following text: "MC fully supports all lossless formats of audio (FLAC, APE, ALAC, WM), AIFF and WAV files (including tagging)."

Is there a contradiction in the posted information? Or is there a way to play ALAC in MC17, notwithstanding is absence from the lists? Please advise.

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Does MC17 Support ALAC?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:07:18 am »

ALAC playback and tagging is fully supported.

Make sure you have all file types set to 'Automatic' in Options > File Types.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

haralson

• Recent member
Re: Does MC17 Support ALAC?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:52 am »

Matt,

There are 26 lines of File Types under Tools > Options > File Types. For each and every one, the "Automatic" setting is selected under the "Playback Method" column.

However, when I click on an ALAC file, I get only a jittering hour-glass icon, as mentioned.

Of the 26 lines of File Types, only ten are selected "Yes" under "File Association": AAC, FLAC, Monkey's, MPC, MPEG, MusicEx, OGG, WAV, WavPak and Windows Media Audio. "No" is selected for the other 16 lines. Should I change those to "Yes" in order to associate the ALAC format, which (for some reason) is not listed?

The apparent contradiction between different web pages is confusing, to say the least. Why is ALAC not listed? Does the reason have to do with Apple, copyright issues, etc.?
Pages: [1]   Go Up