INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist - Group by Artist, then by album  (Read 3078 times)

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
Smartlist - Group by Artist, then by album
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:55 am »

I've just recently become familiar with the Smartlist feature and am very impressed with it.

However, while I want to create a Smartlist of a group of albums, I'm only able to get a long list of tracks to play vs. a listing broken down by artist and then by album. Even a listing of albums by artist would be great.

I'm using JRemote on my Ipad so in order to review the music in my Smartlist, I currently have to scroll through hundreds and hundreds of tracks.

If I use the Search function in MC (and on JRemote) I get the breakdown I'm looking for so I would think this sorting feature would be available in Smartlist.

Is there a command or feature I'm missing (I'm already aware of the Sort feature in MC) but want a script for my Smartlist.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Joel

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Smartlist - Group by Artist, then by album
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »

You can group using the Group By setting for the view.  I don't know if this viewing option though will be available to JRemote.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:33:43 pm »

Thanks a lot for your reply, MrC.

I did see the "Group by" command.

One issue is that I have about 150 albums in my Smartlist.

That's a lot of albums to have to scroll through.

And second, unfortunately, JRemote doesn't pick up the "Group By" feature leaving me with thousands of tracks to sort through.

That's why a script of some sort in Smartlist would be great to have.

I would think this issue would have come up long before today and that others would have worked out a solution.

Thanks again.

Joel

P.S. This is the current script I'm using: [Album]="/(DSF/)" ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Track #]

MrC

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39:01 pm »

You could create a view instead (perhaps a Categories view), that would be picked up by JRemote.

The view would select files based on the same smartlist rules you're  using.  (You don't need to define a separate smartlist).  Set the Rules for file display in the view.

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:42:06 pm »

MrC,

I'm confessing my ignorance here, but would give me a little direction on how I would go about doing this?

What I'm trying to do here is to sort for all albums including the designation "(DSF)". I want to see those albums sorted by artist (so I can just select an artist and get the albums for that artist) and also sorted by album in case I do want to scroll through all the albums . . . although the artist method of sorting would be preferable to me.

While I've been using MC for a while, I'm pretty new to the scripts, filters, views, etc. (in case that wasn't already obvious).

Thanks very much.

Joel

MrC

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »

Sure.

You're going to create a new view under Audio.  Call it DSF Files.  This excellent overview will guide and explain things:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0

When you're creating the view, be sure to click the Set rules for file display....  There, click the Import/Export button, and paste your current smartlist expression.  When you OK out, you'll see the wizard filled-out to reflect what you've pasted.  Alternatively, you can just use the wizard as you probably did when you built the smartlist.

Once the view is created, it should now be navigable as you want.  If it is a Panes view, you'll select items in the pane.  If a Categories view, you'll drill down.

To make this view available to JRemote, you'll want to customize the WebGizmo views (Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo...).  You can add a new section under Audio, selecting this Library Item from Standard View.

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:01:54 pm »

Boy, am I glad I asked for some help.

There's no way I would have figured all of that out on my own.

You're a good man. I'll give this a try and will hopefully get what I'm looking for.

One more time . . . thanks a lot.

Joel
Pages: [1]   Go Up