INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To: Ravman  (Read 1007 times)

Rusty

To: Ravman
« on: April 25, 2002, 04:33:25 am »

Ravman - Regarding your message below ... excuse my ignorance, I'm just a new user really ... Can you further explain all this. I don't appear to have a "Device Manager",  that I can find (is it under "SETTINGS" - "OPTIONS") & I can't find a check box for DMA anywhere?

"Rusty, Are your CD ROMs running in DMA mode. If they are PIO this could use up CPU cycles. Look in device manager to see if DMA is checked."

nila

RE:To: Ravman
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2002, 04:51:55 am »

Device manager depends on what Operating System you are using.
If you are using Windows 95/98/ME then go into your control panel (usually found by double clicking 'my computer' then 'control panel') and choose 'System'

If you are running Windows NT (aka 2000, XP) then right click on my computer, choose properties, then choose the hardware tab and then device manager.

Rusty

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2002, 05:08:35 am »

Thanks NILA - I was looking in MJ & didn't realise that I should be looking in Windows 98 - Thanks again for the tip, but the DMA boxes weren't checked anyway - so I'll just have to keep trying other things to try to correct my memory problems.

Kindest regards - Rusty.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 06:15:12 am »

Rusty, excuse me if I'm butting in, but, it seems to me that the advice was that the boxes next to DMA should be checked. With DMA enabled your CD drives will run faster and use less CPU. If they are not checked, put the mouse pointer on the box and click the mouse to put a check mark in the box. After a reboot, your system should run better.

Rusty

RE:To: Ravman & LC the DJ
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2002, 04:54:26 pm »

I am responding to LC the DJ's info that the DMA boxes should be checked.

I refer to the "CD BURNING TIPS FOR MEDIA JUKEBOX" quote;
_______________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

What are the optimum CD device settings for burning?
WINDOWS 95/98/ME

Open the "Control Panel" folder and click on the "System" icon.  
Select the "Device Manager" tab.
Click on the CDROM icon
For each CDROM device in the list... Select the device. Select the "Settings" tab. Enable the "Disconnect" option. Enable the "Sync Data Transfer" option. Disable the "Auto Insert Notification" option. Disable the "DMA" option (if available). Click on "OK"
_______________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
As you can see from your comments & that written above, there is confusion here, as one is saying check the box & the other not?

Now I have no idea exactly what "DMA" is or how it works (I hate abreviations), but I did as per the instruction above & do not have this box checked for either my CD ROM player or my Burner. What to do - that is the question?

Rusty

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2002, 05:02:18 pm »

I am responding to LC the DJ's info that the DMA boxes should be checked. Sorry LCtheDJ but this was not the message I got from RAVMAN's post, to me it indicated that I should not have the DMA box checked ...

I refer to the "CD BURNING TIPS FOR MEDIA JUKEBOX" quote below;

What are the optimum CD device settings for burning?
WINDOWS 95/98/ME

Open the "Control Panel" folder and click on the "System" icon.
Select the "Device Manager" tab.
Click on the CDROM icon
For each CDROM device in the list... Select the device. Select the "Settings" tab. Enable the "Disconnect" option. Enable the "Sync Data Transfer" option. Disable the "Auto Insert Notification" option. Disable the "DMA" option (if available). Click on "OK"
As you can see from your comments & that written above, there is confusion here, as one is saying check the box & the other not?

Now I have no idea exactly what "DMA" is or how it works (I hate abreviations), but I did as per the instruction above & do not have this box checked for either my CD ROM player or my Burner. What to do - that is the question?

sekim

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2002, 06:14:14 pm »

Rusty,

I'll probably get nailed for being wrong. I think DMA = Direct Memory Access
Pages: [1]   Go Up