INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder naming when burning data CD's  (Read 618 times)

Chico

Folder naming when burning data CD's
« on: April 24, 2002, 06:58:14 pm »

As my collection grows, I always backup my albums when I have enough to fill a CD.  I can't seem to get MJ to create a "Various" folder for the compilation and soundtrack albums with various artist.  Older versions used to be able to do this using the "Album Artist" field.  In the "Rearrange CD Folders" option for burning CDs, there is no option for using the "Album Artist" field (which would be "Various" for compilation albums)for folder creating.  I used to be able to burn CD's with the formatt, "Album Artist/Ablum Title/Artist - Name".  Example: Various/Armagedon (Soundtrack)/Aerosmith - I don't Want To Miss A Thing.mp3.  Now I can only get Aerosmith/Armagedon (Soundtrack)/Aerosmith - I don't Want To Miss A Thing.mp3. This gets very sloppy when an album has multiple artist.
Am I missing something and there is a way to use the "Album Artist" field for CD folder options, or what?  There should be an "Album Artist" as well as "Album Artist/Album Title" option for burning data CDs.

Chico

RE:Folder naming when burning data CD's
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2002, 08:44:35 am »

Thank you for all your ideas.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2002, 02:55:25 pm »

I agree that the "Folder Options" for burning CDs are too limited.
Having to apply one rule to the entire CD is also not as useful as it sh/could be.

It would be far more useful if you could select groups of files and apply various rules.
Add to this the ability to type in a rule template as you can with "Rename files from properties" and you'd really be getting somewhere.

So that you could (in the burn window) select the files of a compilation CD and apply the rule "/AlbumArtist/Album" and then select songs of a regular albums and apply the rule "/Artist/Album", then select cuts, bits and pieces and apply a made up rule like "/Unknown Cuts/"

At the moment I find MJ's CD Burner OK, but no more useful than any other burning software.
Whereas I feel that, though MJ has a natural advantage when dealing in any way (including burning) with files from its database, it fails, through the absence of the above flexibility, to avail itself of that advantage when burning CDs.

Chico

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 07:17:27 am »

Thanks for the input Callithumpian.  I used to creat my archives on the standard 650MB CDRs.  I found that when I switched to the 700MB CDRs, Easy CD Creator has no options for using the 700MBs where MJ does and thus will only utilize 650 MB of a 700MB disk.  It was easy to just copy directly from my HD to a 650MB CDR and preserve my file structures using CD Creator.  MJ can utilize the 700MJ discs, but can't preserve the original file structure. Thus I have to use CD Creator if I want to preserve the file structure and waist 50 MB on each disk, or use MJ and loose the file stucture I had set up. Next Page

Otherwise, MJ is one awsome system!  May it live long and prosper!
Pages: [1]   Go Up