INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: odd slow buffering to DLNA client for hi-res audio files  (Read 2236 times)

jbpsrca

• Recent member
odd slow buffering to DLNA client for hi-res audio files
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:26:54 pm »

Just started recording some 96/24 audio .wav files. stored on a NAS drive. They play fine (ie start immediately) when played directly from my MC17 server. However, when I try to play the same file from my MC17 DLNA client, MC takes 10-30 seconds to "buffer" before playback begins. A couple of background points:
- client is MC17.0.147, server is MC17.0.122
- I've been running the DLNA client mostly trouble free for a number of months. Mostly playing 44.1/16 .wav files. A few hi-res .flac files. Almost always trouble-free, but infrequently there are playback drop-outs in the middle of songs, or playback terminates with a "playback error occurred" message. minorly annoying, but not frequent enough to troubleshoot yet. In no time have I had extended "prebuffering" before playback starts.
- seems to be a DLNA specific problem. On the same client machine, I also loaded the 96/24 .wav song to a Local Library (accessing file from the same NAS drive), and playback is immediate and flawless.

Questions:
- Are there known performance problems for hi-res audio playback thru DLNA, as opposed to direct thru MC - especially this long buffering before playback?
- Are there config options that I should try?
- should I abandon DLNA, and just manage multiple libraries on multiple clients? (if so, can I synchronize their content in some way?)

Note: I did multiple rips of the same song in 96/24 .wav, 96/24 .flac, and 44.1/16 .wav . The .flac file plays immediately, the 44.1/16 .wav file buffers for 2-8 sec. the 96/24 .wav file buffers for 10-30 sec.

vrasenas

• Recent member
Re: odd slow buffering to DLNA client for hi-res audio files
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:41:57 am »

I'm not an expert, but I do know that wav and 24/96 files are huge compared to the already large FLAC files, so the buffering you are experiencing is due to that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up