INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connection issues with JRemote 2.05  (Read 5349 times)

mdx1

• World Citizen
Connection issues with JRemote 2.05
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:17:58 pm »

Based on the good reviews, I purchased JRemote Version 2.05 to replace or supplement My River but I ran into a number of issues.  I am running MC 17 on two Windows 7 x64 computers.  JRemote is running on an iPad2 running iOS 5.1.1.

1. Initially I tried to enter IP address but JRemote just quits without connecting or doing anything.

2. Only using the access key without anthentication userid and password made JRemote work.

3. After JRemote is connected, enabling the authentication user name and password will lock JRemote out.  There is no way to add user name and password for existing connections.

4. Once I reset the access key, JRemote behaves erratically.  It starts and exits immediately until the access key is enabled again.

Are those known issues?

By the way I am coming from using My River which is not as pretty or capable as JRemote but it connects to MC servers by IP address even with user name and password enabled.

Nelson

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
Re: Connection issues with JRemote 2.05
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:22:28 am »

FWIW, I couldn't get it to work with a manually entered IP either. However, I don't use authentication so I haven't seen the other issues.

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:00 am »

I have no problems connecting my iPad and iPhone using manual ip, but I do have access key & auth enabled, can you screenshot your settings on jremote and MC?
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:00 am »

mdx1, are you saying that JRemote crashes when you try to connect using manual IP?

Btw, you can add username and password after the server is setup by going to settings and clicking on the arrow to the right of each server.

You can try that, but I would be surprised if that works when you cant add the server using the same username and password.
If you are 100% sure that the username and password is correct, you could try to change to a simpler username/password just to test.

There "may" be a problem if you have lots of strange characters in the password or username.

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:31:25 pm »

mdx1, are you saying that JRemote crashes when you try to connect using manual IP?

I am not sure whether it crashed or not.  It just quit without any message.  I guess that is a crash.

Btw, you can add username and password after the server is setup by going to settings and clicking on the arrow to the right of each server.

When I tapped the entry field for the user name or password, the iPad keyboard does not appear.  It seems the fields are not changeable.  I will try again tonight when I get hme.

You can try that, but I would be surprised if that works when you cant add the server using the same username and password.
If you are 100% sure that the username and password is correct, you could try to change to a simpler username/password just to test.

There "may" be a problem if you have lots of strange characters in the password or username.

The user name is J R M C in upper case without blank spaces.  For some reason, this forun software removes JR from J R M C.  The password just lower case letters and numbers, not very long either.

The most unfriendly thing that happened to me is that JRemote loops or coming up and going down.  Here is what I did when it happened.

1. Enable access key in MC and disable the username password authentication.
2. Enter the access key in JRemote and verify the connection is sucessful.
3. With JRemote is running and playing a song, reset the access key in MC and enable the username password autntication.
4. Press OK to save the changes in MC.
5. Watch JRemote going wild trying to make sense of beling "locked out".

Please try those steps to see if it can be reproduced.

Are you running Windows or MacOS?  This problem could be specific to the Windows only network.
Nelson

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:45:36 am »

I just tried again tonight and here are the test results.

1. With the Access key still enabled and JR MC Server defined, I enabled the Authentication.
2. Added the same server with IP address and username/password.
3. The server is added successfully.
4. Delete both server instances, one added with the IP address and one added with the access key.
5. Reset the access key from the JR MC which cleared the access key.
6. Now try to add the same server with IP address, user name and password.
7. Hit "Add and Connect".
8. JRemote crashes (disappears w/o message).

9. The only way to make JRemote connect is to enable the access key, with or without the Authentication enabled.
10. If the Access Key is reset (cleared), JRemote crashes when trying to access that server.
11. If the Access Key is re-enabled, JRemote works immediately even though the Access Key has changed.  
12. JRemote still shows the old Access Key even though the Access Key has changed.  

It looks like that JRemote does not use the Access Key value.  It just needs the Access Key enabled.  It might use the Access Key value initially instead of the IP address to define the server the very first time.

By the way, I cannot add the username and password on an existing JR MC server.  The username and password can only be specified when adding a server.
Nelson

HiFiTubes

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:04 am »

Try disabling "Enable Ratings" in your Settings. I'm have similar problems to you on Windows 7 x64 with local IP.

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:37 am »

Try disabling "Enable Ratings" in your Settings. I'm have similar problems to you on Windows 7 x64 with local IP.

Thank you for the tip.  I'll try that tonight.

Does "Enable Ratings" allow the userid/password to be ignored?

Does that also allow a JR MC server without the Access Key to work with JRemote?
Nelson

HiFiTubes

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:20:20 pm »

Yes, I think so. It's something I just started trying. I'm having major problems with the new version of JRemote. I know Les will get it sorted, but sad to have such a solid app go south for a time....I guess it speaks to how useful the app actually is; I really depend on this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up