INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Cover Art Tagging  (Read 1278 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
Audio Cover Art Tagging
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:11:18 am »

Hello, me again with another cover art question.

I have Folder.jpg's in the same folder as the album. On a clean install on of my HTPC no cover art (rightfully) exists so I do a right click on the album > Quick Find in File / Cover Art Directory.

When doing this why does it update all the actual audio files as well, especially since I have the option to Store image in files tag disabled. I need to stop this behavior as the file system on my NAS box uses copy-on-write so every change to a file causes a new block to be re-written, which then frees up the block once used.

If I did this for my 7000+ music library I would have some serious 'scatter' on my NAS. Basically I need it to emulate what it does for films, shows, etc, where it literally justs finds Folder.jpg in the album folder and writes this to the library, rather than modyfying any files.

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Cover Art Tagging
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:17:16 pm »

What happens if you just do a Update library from file tags?

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:53:52 am »

Nope. Doesn't work.

vagskal

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:44 am »

Well it works for me. Update Library (from tags) finds the folder.jpg and does not embed the cover art in the music file even if the Also store image in the file's tag option is checked. If that option is unchecked and I do a Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory, the folder.jpg is found but not embedded in the music file. I tried it with flac files.

I have no idea why it writes the image to the music files for you in these cases.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 01:33:44 pm »

The tag with the path to the cover art is probably written to the file, even though the cover art it self is not.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »

If your NAS=Linux I wouldn’t worry.
The Linux file system is not as sensitive to defragmentation as Win.
http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php/2006/08/17/why_doesn_t_linux_need_defragmenting

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 02:00:58 pm »

The tag with the path to the cover art is probably written to the file, even though the cover art it self is not.

The image file path was not written to my music file and the Windows file modification date was unaltered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up