INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obtain 2 channels from 5 when playing DVDs in an ASIO4ALL MC17 system  (Read 1816 times)

Professor Jud

• Recent member

Guys, gals,

I'm a long-time user of MC for audio reproduction. I have a Dell laptop, run Win XP (service pack 3), use ASIO4ALL to route the audio digital signal out to an HRT Music Streamer II DAC (and from there my signal goes to a modest integrated amp and speakers----in a two-channel stereo system).  Just recently, thinking to branch out, I fired up MC 17 and tried to play a DVD for the first time (Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride," the so-called "Full Screen Edition").  But the disc seems to have some five (or more?) audio channels which my current system could not "boil down" to two.  My system now seems to be playing only the two side channels!  I immediately went to MC's drop-down menus in Tools/Options/Video and saw that I had checked the "Red October" option and that the other settings were all set for "Desktop (automatic)."  MC 17 gets almost universal praise for its automatic sorting out of video playback problems, but not in this instance.  What does one do to get stereo sound from a multi-channel DVD movie disc?

Thanks much,
Jud the Prof

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Obtain 2 channels from 5 when playing DVDs in an ASIO4ALL MC17 system
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:26:28 pm »

In DSP Studio > Output Format, select '2 channels' and make sure JRSS mixing is enabled.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JohnNye

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:41:57 pm »

I've just spent half an hour trying to do this just to play back a DVD on a laptop for my daughter. All I could hear was the music and special effects, the voices were just whispers. Very, very frustrating! Again I've used MC for all my audio playback so I was surprised that it wasn't clever enough to know that the playback device was just 2 channels and mix down automatically.

JohnNye

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:51:47 pm »

Ha, a quick update: the solution from Matt does work (thank you) but my daughter in the meantime has solved the problem herself by switching the default for DVD playback from MC to Dell's Media Direct. Can't say I blame her, it just worked.

TBH, I normally disable the video support in JMRC on my PCs because I rarely watch DVDs on them. Now the kids are getting older though, I may need to investigate this option more, especially as we share all our audio and photos from a NAS and use MC widely for accessing them, mostly in read-only mode.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:52:18 pm »

The program defaults to bit-perfect output.  If you soundcard supports 5.1, but you don't hook up 6 speakers, we have no way to know.

As I said above, you simply need to tell the program how many speakers you have.  Full audio setup instructions are here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up