INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved... somewhat] Cover Art broken for me  (Read 1904 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
[Solved... somewhat] Cover Art broken for me
« on: September 01, 2012, 12:23:52 pm »

I'm using Win8 RTM 64bit and the latest MC17.

I found that cover art isn't working for me :( Most of my files randomly lost their covers. In other programs (as windows explorer) is shown correctly. In MC some a stated to contain "no cover art" and some are "failed to load cover art from file". I don't know what to do. Rebuilding thumbnails doesn't work an even pasting them form internet doesn't work correctly :(

I checked if I have all rights to access the files and if they are write protected (they are not ;) )

ANY ideas about that?! At the moment it looks as if I lost the work of some years :(

Listener

• MC Beta Team
Re: Cover Art broken for me
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »

I'm using Win8 RTM 64bit and the latest MC17.

I found that cover art isn't working for me :( Most of my files randomly lost their covers. In other programs (as windows explorer) is shown correctly. In MC some a stated to contain "no cover art" and some are "failed to load cover art from file".

How about some more details?

Was cover art previously working for you?  Do you still have that system?

Do you have a backup of the files on your system from a time when cover art was working?

MC makes automatic library backups of the default library but not of other libraries. Did you have library backups of the library (database) you were using?

Were did you tell MC to place cover art when it located it?  (in one of the right cover art menu choices)

When you set up MC 17 on the Win 8 RTM system, how did you get your music files into the database?  Import the files again?  Restore a library backup from your old system?

> I don't know what to do.

Don't panic.  You need to understand how MC works and what you did to get to this point.  Then you can take appropriate action.

> Rebuilding thumbnails doesn't work an even pasting them form internet doesn't work correctly :(

The problem may be that MC 17 under Win 8 RTM doesn't have entries in its database for the cover art.

> I checked if I have all rights to access the files and if they are write protected (they are not ;) )

That is one thing to check.

> ANY ideas about that?!

> At the moment it looks as if I lost the work of some years :(

Probably not unless you were really careless.  However, the amount of work you'll have to do to get cover art working is uncertain.

Bill

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re: Cover Art broken for me
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:22:14 am »

I reinstalled Windows 8 and MC from scratch tonight. No change.

I've got an old backup (files & library) I could use. I tried a few of the "old" files in MC, but also they don't show cover art in MC. They did before in Windows7! And they still do in Windows Explorer context menu. I even tried to downgrade MC to an older version: no success.

I restored an old library where cover art was working for sure: no success.

To answer your questions:
Do you have a backup of the files on your system from a time when cover art was working?
Yes, but restoring it: no success.

MC makes automatic library backups of the default library but not of other libraries. Did you have library backups of the library (database) you were using?
Yes, I only use the default library. I also have a manual backup of my library.

Was cover art previously working for you?  Do you still have that system?
Yes it was working with Windows 7 64bit. I don't have that system any more.

Were did you tell MC to place cover art when it located it?  (in one of the right cover art menu choices)
It's stored within the tags.

When you set up MC 17 on the Win 8 RTM system, how did you get your music files into the database?  Import the files again?  Restore a library backup from your old system?
I restored an automatic library backup. The file location was the same. I have all my music on an own partition.[/color]

Perhaps I could share some of the mp3 files I'm having problems with so that someone could try them in MC to see if its a Windows8 problem?!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re: [Solved... somewhat] Cover Art broken for me
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »

I don't know how, but it works again. Somewhat...

All files containing cover art and being played between the first installation of Windows 8 and the re installation are somewhat damaged.

MC displays "failed to load cover art from file" in action window for these files the first time I select them. Second time MC says "no image".

If I use some extrenal program before selecting the file in MC everything is fine. After selecting it in MC the cover art is gone.

If delete the file from library completely and then re-import it, cover art works again in MC for the file. So there is something strange going on and MC is deleting some of my coverart.

Nevertheless a believe it is not a MC bug as I had a lot of strange things happening with my first Win8 installation. It was "only" three hours to restore the lost cover arts. Some are still lost (and will stay lost) but it's not a big deal. Sorry for first blaming MC! (But seeing MC deleting data from my files is still a bit... alarming me...)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:23:31 am »

My internet connection was gone for 2 days.  Glad to hear that you have a handle on your program.

Bill

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:46:42 am »

My internet connection was gone for 2 days.  Glad to hear that you have a handle on your program.

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up