INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sync issues  (Read 38673 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sync issues
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 03:56:21 pm »

MC sync is not the same as simply copying files over. the sync action not only creates a folder structure pushes media files to folders (based on how you want them organized), but it also builds a database file on your phone that is read and written over each time you connect your device. it is designed to track meta data from the device and update MC upon sync. it creates 3 files on your device based on the sync settings you set in MC: JRInfo.xml, JRState.xml, List.xml

I didn't mean to offer that as an actual workaround.  I meant it as a demonstration that the SAME set of files can be transferred over to the unit if you use a different program to do it.  A "sync" is, at it's heart, a "transfer" where only new or updated files are transferred (and some files may be deleted), so it seems significant to note that Windows Explorer can do this without problems.

the problem with android sync is that it most newer phones do not support USB mass storage mode (which is the predominant protocol used in portable media players, save the special little iPod of course  ;)) the newer MTP mode behaves differently when syncing and even copying files back and forth.

I'm not saying that the file transfer protocol isn't related to this issue.  I'm merely pointing out that this does not prevent Windows Explorer from successfully transferring the same files over, which indicates that the problem is not simply an issue with windows and the android transfer protocol.  Once MC does the sync analysis and determines which files to delete and which to transfer over, isn't it primarily a transfer operation at this point?  If so, and if Windows can natively transfer the files over, then what is MC doing differently such that the transfer doesn't work correctly?

Thanks,

Larry

nitephlight

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:46 pm »

I didn't mean to offer that as an actual workaround.  I meant it as a demonstration that the SAME set of files can be transferred over to the unit if you use a different program to do it.  A "sync" is, at it's heart, a "transfer" where only new or updated files are transferred (and some files may be deleted), so it seems significant to note that Windows Explorer can do this without problems.

I'm not saying that the file transfer protocol isn't related to this issue.  I'm merely pointing out that this does not prevent Windows Explorer from successfully transferring the same files over, which indicates that the problem is not simply an issue with windows and the android transfer protocol.  Once MC does the sync analysis and determines which files to delete and which to transfer over, isn't it primarily a transfer operation at this point?  If so, and if Windows can natively transfer the files over, then what is MC doing differently such that the transfer doesn't work correctly?

Thanks,

Larry

ah i see what you're getting at- some users have been reporting missing files and incomplete syncs too i forgot.

SGS3 Easy UMS - Mount external microSD card as USB mass storage
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1711009

unfortunately (or fortunately for some of you stock huggers ;-)) , this requires ROOT. that being said, there is might be a simple enough solution for Samsung / HTC users alike, but it requires a bit of research and "hacking" of your phone. truthfully, the devs at XDA and other android communities have made these rooting processes so painless and automated that the only risk is perhaps losing some apps worth of data in the switch. also, rooting does not require you to replace your whole UI or experience (that would be a custom ROM). simply gaining superuser access over your current install is like giving Administrator rights in Windows (which is a no brainer, no?)

if not..
the first thing you should definitely try is uninstalling the Samsung (or HTC is the other victim) sync software / drivers. they are junkware and can only complicate existing issues. next, disable USB debug > reboot. reinstall *just* the USB drivers if you can find them for your device (skip the sync manager bloatware, Kies, etc).

if anyone would like to give it a while id be more than happy to walk you safely through the process and back if it doesn't work... sucks to see you guys stuck with great phones that can't even do what iPods did ten years ago :-/

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 11:18:49 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, but I still keep coming back to the evidence that the solution lies with something MC is doing (or not doing.)  My basis for this is that if this were due to drivers or transfer modes/protocols or anything that required more complex "phone" fixes, there would be problems with ANY transfers to the phone, not just with MC.  The fact that a transfer of the same set of files works in Windows Explorer proves that the issue is not simply a compatibility issue with windows and these phones.  I'd understand looking at driver or protocol issues if transferring files to the device was always problematic, but it's not -- it's only MC that is currently having problems.

I keep coming back to the same question:  Given that MC's "sync" is essentially a file transfer based on an analysis that takes place before the transfer starts, what is it about the actual "MC transfer" process that is different from the "Windows Explorer transfer" process?

sucks to see you guys stuck with great phones that can't even do what iPods did ten years ago :-/

I couldn't agree more -- it's incredibly frustrating.  The irony is that I specifically moved away from the ipod because MC stopped supporting ipods.  This was due to apple's policy of specifically making it difficult for non-iTunes apps to sync to the ipod.  It was continually suggested to move to a non-apple device -- i.e. an Android device -- since they didn't suffer from this situation.  How ironic is it that I find myself right back where I started.

Larry

Vincent Kars

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 01:10:49 pm »

Have the same problem, tags are altered on sync, not in the file but in the JRinfo.xml

Posted is in the wrong section I'm afraid
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85073.0

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 12:00:06 am »

Code: [Select]
Some time ago I read from somewhere that the problem of screwing up the genres in metadata when transferring files to a phone might actually be an Android problem, not at all related to MC...anyone have any info on this?  Meanwhile, I might do a simple test of transferring the song manually and seeing whether the genre is screwed up. have a galaxy s4,  not using sync,  just grabbing files (manually transferring ) from audio to s4.... Anyone figure out the genre issue?  On my s4 in Player pro it seems that if any file has multiple genres,  PlayerPro only chooses 1...any way to fix this?
Thanks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up