INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Port Forwarding with Ooma Telo VoIP device  (Read 8986 times)

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
Port Forwarding with Ooma Telo VoIP device
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:55 pm »

I was able to successfully get port forwarding working so that I can open and play media from my media server remotely using JRiver's media server, and it was complicated a bit by my Ooma Telo VoIP device that I have connected between the cable modem and the Cisco/Linksys EA2700 router.  I thought I would share my experience of how it worked in case others out there run into similar problems.

If you have the Ooma Telo between your cable modem and router (which Ooma recommends for best voice QoS), then you need to tweak some settings on the Ooma.  Login to your Ooma's management page and go to the "Home Network" tab.

The Ooma device has a DHCP server built in where it assigns an IP address to the router.  What I did was I constrained the available IP address range to a single IP by setting the high and low to the same IP address, thus ensuring your router will always have the same IP address.

the next step is to set that same IP address that the Ooma will give your router, as the DMZ address.  This makes it so that the Ooma passes all internet traffic to the router, which is fine since routers have built in firewalls anyway.  So you don't have to specify any specific port forwarding in the Ooma.

NOTE: Since the Ooma assigns an IP address to the router, essentially obfuscating your true WAN address that your ISP assigns you, the built in Dynamic DNS apps in your router probably won't work right.  If you are using Dynamic DNS, it is better to install your Dynamic DNS service application onto a computer on your network and let that plug in update the dynamic DNS service.

Now you should log into your router and set the port forwarding and DHCP reservation for your server.  In the EA2700 you go to the Setup tab, and the "Basic Setup" sub tab and there is a button for DHCP reservation.  You can then go in and select your media server and copy that to the reservation list and give it an IP address that is within the range and easy to remember.  This way that server will always have that IP within your local network.

In my router I go to the tab "Applications and Gaming" and set up "single port forwarding".  There I created a new record labelled "JRiver" and set both the "External Port" and "Internal Port" to "52199" enter your server's IP address (that you just set up in the DHCP reservation) and then click save settings.

Now what you need to do is re-start both the Ooma Telo and the Router, probably in that order.  I restarted the Ooma by unplugging it for a few seconds and plugging it back in again.  Then reboot your router.  At first I didn't reboot the devices and the port forwarding was not successful until the next day when I thought I would try the reboots, and then it worked.

I hope this is helpful to some people.

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
Re: Port Forwarding with Ooma Telo VoIP device
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:11:02 pm »

I suppose I should add the final step in J River is to add a library while you are outside of your home.

In standard view under "Playing Now"

Then in the "Library Server" box, enter the URL of your dynamic DNS host (or your static IP address) followed by a colon ":" and the port number 52199.

something like

"your.dynamichost.com:52199" and hit OK.

It ought to then be able to go out and find your library import it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up