INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 Gizmo question..demonstrating JRiver at Trade show, couple of questions?  (Read 3482 times)

gazjam

• World Citizen

Taking audioserver with MC17 installed for demonstration at trade show.

Had hoped to show off JRiver using andriod tablet via Gizmo, but then realised that Gizmo needs Wireless Lan and internet connection...
Damn.

Is there any way to set up where I can use Gizmo with the server? Use a Router in some way assuming there is a free wifi connection at the site?
Tablet control is something that would be great to demonstrate.

thank you for ANY help!
JRiver/Gizmo works great at home but not really a network guy to troubleshoot whats possible in my case!

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe

I would not bet that it'll be easy to use any existing wifi network on site. So, bring your own :)
This is a quick and affordable way of creating a small Wifi network with only your computer and pad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rZUgYWVcQ

It'll only cost you a fairly inexpensive USB Wifi adapter.
Only thing to remember here is to set up your adaptor at home and test it on an existing wifi network. Get the adaptor installed and working, THEN you proceed with the instructions in that youtube clip. I would test the mini wifi setup at home before you go to the trade show as well if I were you :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gazjam

• World Citizen

Fantastic :)

Though the server doesn't have a wifi card built in, will I need to get one?
I saw he bridged his wireless adapter and Lan ..I wouldn't have a wireless adapter....?

MrHaugen

I forgot a couple of things. The answer to your first question is yes. If you have any hope of testing Gizmo, you'll need to connect the pad to the computer with Wifi. I don't know how you could do the same with USB cable, even though I suppose it's possible.

1. Connecting with Gizmo still need to contact JRiver servers to get the internal (!!!) address for the server. Even though you just create a local network. I do not know if the IP is cached, and that you can use this for a while after successfully connecting, to make additional connections without an Internet access. That JRiver have not included a way to specify the IP and port for the MC server in Gizmo is still a mystery for me...

2. As you mentioned, you could use any internal Wifi devices. But as you don't have one, you'll need a USB Wifi adaptor. This is not expensive. I would guess 15-25 bucks.

3. As you also notices, when and if you test this, there will be a small difference to the demonstrated bridge method. You'll have a Wifi connection, but you'll NOT have a LAN adapter active. This means that you're out of an Internet connection, so there is nothing for you to bridge.

This is the way I would have done it.
- Purchase a Wifi USB device
- Instal the device on the computer
- Do as the video shows. While at home, connected to the LAN cable, bridge the two networks. LAN and the new Wifi device.
- Connect to the new network with your pad
- Connect to the MC server with gizmo, from the pad. If this does not work, it's possible you'll have to check the IP settings of the USB WIFI device or the pad.
- When this works, you can take out the cable from the computer. You can remove the bridge option for the two network adapters just to be sure you have a standalone Wifi hotspot without other interference. It's possible that you'll have to manually set the IP address and Subnet on both the PC and the Pad now, as there might not be a DHPC server on your PC. Most probably. The addresses is normally given from the router in your home, and you've just disconnected the cable.
- When you have a network working, try to connect to to the Library server from Gizmo again.

I think there is a caching mechanism in Gizmo, so it remembers the internal address, but I do not know for how long. If it succeeds I would try it again later that day, and the next day just to be sure. As long as Trade show lasts really. So you know that this work for the whole time. If this does not work, or if it does not work long enough, you have a problem.

The solution to this would be to use your phone as an Internet access point, and share this with your computer. Let's hop you have an android phone. Because, I do not know how to do this otherwise :)
On newer models and OS's, you have the option to share a phones 3G/4G network over cable. On older phones you probably need an application for this. Read more about one example here: http://androidadvices.com/share-3g4g-android-mobile-internet-pc-usb-cable/#.UEWtKmyvpOI

If you are so luck as to have a newer Android OS, you have this option under Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> More -> Tethering and Portable Hotspot -> USB Tethering
When you connect the phone to the OS now, and if the device successfully installs to the computer, you'll have another Network adapter installed on the system. Remember to have 3G or 4G network active on the phone. Go to Control Panel and Network and Sharing Center. Select Change Adapter settings. Here you'll see a Local Area Network Connection Probably number 2. Double click on it and check that you have IPv4 Connectivity: Internet. That means it's working. You can also double check that this is the right connection to the phone by hitting Details button. Description should be something like Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.

You'll probably have similar USB Internet sharing options on other phones as well, but I do not know how to use those. You'll have to use google for that I think.
This was a lot of if's, possible problems and solutions. For the person with the knowhow, this is a quick thing to fix. It might be some more fiddling for an unexperienced though. Let's hope that it can work without an internet connection at all. That would save you from much problems :) Good luck!

gazjam

• World Citizen

Thanks!
Great info.

much appreciated.

gazjam

• World Citizen

RE: The above (adding a network card to server to enable Gizmo use..)

CAN THIS BE DONE WITH A USB DONGLE ADAPTER OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE A NETWORK CARD?

THANKS.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

If you plan on streaming video from your tablet over your cell phone for the duration of the trade show , I hope you have a great data plan on your phone. Otherwise, you may end up with a huge bill or maybe just get cut off. I would check with the trade show group and see if they have WiFi available. The phone connection can be a backup. But if the trade show has a reliable WiFi connection, I would prefer that. Reliable is key, for either the show WiFi or the phone connection.

MrHaugen

RE: The above (adding a network card to server to enable Gizmo use..)

CAN THIS BE DONE WITH A USB DONGLE ADAPTER OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE A NETWORK CARD?

THANKS.

Sorry. Forgot to answer this. Answer is yes.

gazjam

• World Citizen

No apologies needed, You had already said to use a USB adapter!
I should have read your replies more closely. :)

Checked with the Venue and they have free wifi - yay!

The problem I have though is that the Server is out of my hands and delivered to the Exhibitor!
So the home testing of the network will be difficult...and its the exhibitors Andriod pad we will be using!

I'll be meeting up with him prior to the show to set up etc, so I'm guessing any setup will be done "one the day".

Any thoughts advice?

Many thanks for this, appreciated.

MrHaugen

It all depends on the network then. If there's simple Wifi access points, you'll probably be fine. But if there is any kind of firewall functionality here, you might be screwed. If it's a big place that needs lot's of access points however, this is very unlikely. They will probably just have a firewall between the internal and external network. If both pad and the server uses the same access point, there should be no problems. But you never know. I would make sure to have that Wifi USB adapter and instructions ready to create your own small network in case of problems though.

gazjam

• World Citizen
Re: MC17 Gizmo question..demonstrating JRiver at Trade show, couple of questions?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 02:59:36 am »

cool thanks for that.
Good to know its *probably* going to be ok :)

The venue has recently installed wifi and it sounds like it should be top notch and nippy..
http://www.whittleburyhall.co.uk/whittlebury_hall.asp?PageID=2423&title=Newly%20Installed,%20Complimentary%20Wi-Fi%20Access

I'll print off the instructions and take them with me.

Listen dude, thanks so much for your help.
Gaz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up