INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Understanding Views  (Read 1448 times)

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
Understanding Views
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:13:50 am »

Hi
I have been using MC17 hard for a couple of weeks - only for Audio. It has done everything I have wanted exceptionally well imho and I think I have a goodish grasp of the basics.

I am struggling with the views though. Q1 Is there a tutorial or extended decription as I haven't been able to find one yet?

Here is an example of one of my 'struggles' I am in a category view for Artists. I drill down for, say, Barber. I get 4 nice thumbs in Album order - just what I want. Below the split I get the 4 album details. Q2 how do I switch the lower display off - I would like to default to no details.

With the detail display it presents in addition to the details a 'nice Album header' with Album, by Artist and date. Nice but it is in date order and I want it in album order. Q3 How do I change the order? Well actually I know how to change the order (by going to 'more sorts') but that loses the 'nice Album header' .

So Q3 is really How do I change the order and retain the 'nice Album header'?

Sorry if this is a bit basic but I feel I am missing something simple.

Kind regards
John

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Understanding Views
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:37:07 am »

I am struggling with the views though. Q1 Is there a tutorial or extended decription as I haven't been able to find one yet?
I posted one here for v13 (much of this is still valid today) and another here for v17. They may help.

Here is an example of one of my 'struggles' I am in a category view for Artists. I drill down for, say, Barber. I get 4 nice thumbs in Album order - just what I want. Below the split I get the 4 album details. Q2 how do I switch the lower display off - I would like to default to no details.
When in a category based view, and arriving at the last level of the view, if there is just a single line of thumbs the lower "details" view opens automatically. This behaviour is not configurable. You can close the file list though, either by double clicking on one of the thumbs above, or look in the details list header, over on the right hand side, there should be a "Close" entry, and clicking that, erm, closes the list.

So Q3 is really How do I change the order and retain the 'nice Album header'?
Try hovering the mouse over the tab name for a second or two until the "View Header Menu" appears, then choose "Group By > More (sort groups a-z) > Album"

This will only give you the album name in the header, no dates and no artist names, so you might find this header to be "not so nice" ;) You may have noticed that the "Group By > More >" lists allow you to apply grouping based on any field that you have in your library, and remember, we can create are own custom library fields. Many of us have created fields specifically to be used for grouping the lists in the order we desire. If you need any more help with this concept, just ask.

-marko

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:13:51 pm »

In order to remove the list of albums and tracks from the bottom of the category view I add an additional level of detail to the view, typically date or something like that. I rarely use the last level, but it means the list does not appear. So, hover over the Artist tab, choose Customize View and under Show Categories in this order put Artist, Album, Date. It would be nice if there was an option to turn off the list at the lowest level of the category view.

In order to sort the view as you want to, again hover over the Artist tab and choose Sort By and choose Custom. You can then customize the sort order to anything you wish, such as Artist then Album. Not sure what you mean "loses the nice album header". Just changing the sort order should not change any header.

Note that at the album level, you can also hover on the Artist > Diane Krall Albums tab and choose Thumbnails and then customize the  Thumbnail text, for example, to show Artist then Album. That will give you the album cover and the name of the artist and the name of the album.

Hope that helps.

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:43:34 am »

Many thanks for both your replies; they are really helpful.

Marko - I had bumped into one of your posts earlier and meant to go back to it. My bad I think they say. I will work through them now.Anyway it seems some of the basic views are not configurable which isn't much of a surprise.

dtc - there is a small difference in the album 'header' information whether you use the default sort (year) or a custom sort. I prefered the one I can't have! Anyway your tip about adding a lower level provides me with exactly what I wanted.

Thanks again
John

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:07 am »

John,

Glad it worked. I would like to see an option to just turn off the listing, but not sure that is going to happen.

Which album "header" are you seeing changes in? The thumbnail text should not change, nor should the Artist Tab or the Display at the top (which shows what is playing). Just curious as to what differences you are seeing.

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:36:15 am »

It s on the details page. The first line(header) for an albums shows

for default sort      Album,  Artist,  date
for custom sort      Album

I prefer the former and your tip allows me to get it.

Kind regards
John

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 10:40:23 am »

Got it. Enjoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up