INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio feature requests  (Read 1783 times)

natehansen66

• World Citizen
DSP Studio feature requests
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:43:01 pm »

Now that we have the first release I'll finally get my wish-list out  ;D. I use the PEQ to eq and crossover my 4-way active speakers, so my ideas are geared towards this sort of setup.

1: High and low pass filters in the PEQ with a user definable Q value. This way we can make filters with whatever roll-off characteristic we want. This can be done now in conjunction with other filters but it's a pain and the filters add up quick.

2: Copy and paste individual filters, within their native PEQ window but also to other PEQ windows. Also multi-select filters and be able to delete, copy, or cut whatever filters have been selected.

3: The ability to add more than the 2 given PEQ windows. This would be nice to test different crossover topologies for active speakers as well as different speakers in general without having to delete a bunch of settings.

4: Channel specific blocks in PEQ. I'd like to sub-divide the filter list with channel specific blocks. Filters for channel 1 go in the box for channel 1, channel 2 in the box for channel 2 etc. This way we don't have to choose the channel for every filter we set. I'd like to keep the ability to set the channels for each filter as well, because sometimes I use the same filter for multiple channels. May not seem like a huge deal, but when you've got 50+ filters it adds up quick. It would also be nice to change all the filters in the specific channel block to another channel. This would be handy when working with various audio interfaces, they seem to assign channels differently.

5: You've expanded the PEQ to use more channels so that takes care of 5  ;D

6: It may now be possible with MC18 (maybe it is in 17 that I'm not aware of) but MC should be able to downmix multi-channel audio for movies to 2-channel and allow me to still use the 8 channels I normally use for my stereo speakers. As it is I can't use MC to watch movies because it uses the conventional channel set, so I get a tweeter playing center, a tweeter playing sub (!), a mid left, a mid right, woofer surround right etc. I haven't played much with this yet so like I said maybe there's something I've overlooked and it could be working all along  ::)

7: Font size. I use a 32" flat panel for my PC monitor in my living room. I sit about 7-8' away, and the default font size in MC is tiny at that distance. I can increase it, but that makes some windows too large and the bottom gets cut off rendering whatever was at the bottom unusable. Any way to fix this, aside from getting a bigger TV?

8: Spotify integration. Been discussed before but I gotta throw that in there.

That's all I can think of now, I'll have more to come I'm sure. Thanks!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Re: DSP Studio feature requests
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:49 pm »

7: Font size. I use a 32" flat panel for my PC monitor in my living room. I sit about 7-8' away, and the default font size in MC is tiny at that distance. I can increase it, but that makes some windows too large and the bottom gets cut off rendering whatever was at the bottom unusable. Any way to fix this, aside from getting a bigger TV?

A bigger TV won't help.  I have a 73" DLP and I suffer from the same problem (I sit about 18' away from mine)

If I change the font size in Windows, it helps with most stuff, but some (many?) of MC's dialog boxes get cutoff, and are hard to use.  One of them (can't remember which one) cuts off the "OK" button, so I can't accept any changes.
pretend this is something funny

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:55:56 am »

ad 7: Font size.
I presume we are talking of Theater mode. One way of dealing with this, is to lower the default resolution from full HD to half HD and then let the 'automatic display mode' change to full HD when required.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »

Now that we have the first release I'll finally get my wish-list out  ;D. I use the PEQ to eq and crossover my 4-way active speakers, so my ideas are geared towards this sort of setup.

1: High and low pass filters in the PEQ with a user definable Q value. This way we can make filters with whatever roll-off characteristic we want. This can be done now in conjunction with other filters but it's a pain and the filters add up quick.

2: Copy and paste individual filters, within their native PEQ window but also to other PEQ windows. Also multi-select filters and be able to delete, copy, or cut whatever filters have been selected.

3: The ability to add more than the 2 given PEQ windows. This would be nice to test different crossover topologies for active speakers as well as different speakers in general without having to delete a bunch of settings.

4: Channel specific blocks in PEQ. I'd like to sub-divide the filter list with channel specific blocks. Filters for channel 1 go in the box for channel 1, channel 2 in the box for channel 2 etc. This way we don't have to choose the channel for every filter we set. I'd like to keep the ability to set the channels for each filter as well, because sometimes I use the same filter for multiple channels. May not seem like a huge deal, but when you've got 50+ filters it adds up quick. It would also be nice to change all the filters in the specific channel block to another channel. This would be handy when working with various audio interfaces, they seem to assign channels differently.

5: You've expanded the PEQ to use more channels so that takes care of 5  ;D

6: It may now be possible with MC18 (maybe it is in 17 that I'm not aware of) but MC should be able to downmix multi-channel audio for movies to 2-channel and allow me to still use the 8 channels I normally use for my stereo speakers. As it is I can't use MC to watch movies because it uses the conventional channel set, so I get a tweeter playing center, a tweeter playing sub (!), a mid left, a mid right, woofer surround right etc. I haven't played much with this yet so like I said maybe there's something I've overlooked and it could be working all along  ::)

8: Spotify integration. Been discussed before but I gotta throw that in there.

That's all I can think of now, I'll have more to come I'm sure. Thanks!

+1 for all the pEQ items.

thanks,
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 04:19:02 pm »

DSP Studio > Output Format > 2 channels (inside 7.1 channel container)

Make sure JRSS is enabled.  It only makes changes when up or downmixing (so stereo is unchanged with the above configuration).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:40:45 pm »

ad 7: Font size.
I presume we are talking of Theater mode. One way of dealing with this, is to lower the default resolution from full HD to half HD and then let the 'automatic display mode' change to full HD when required.

No, I don't use Theater mode. Just the regular display.

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:47:37 pm »

DSP Studio > Output Format > 2 channels (inside 7.1 channel container)

Make sure JRSS is enabled.  It only makes changes when up or downmixing (so stereo is unchanged with the above configuration).

You know, I got to looking after my post and saw that. Thank you for pointing that out. However, now that we can access 8+ channels in the PEQ, this only works for 8 channels.

On another note I pulled a sub out of my closet and hooked it up on the 9th channel. It works, PEQ and all! Now I have another project to add to the list........
Pages: [1]   Go Up