INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound... Windows 7  (Read 2066 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
No sound... Windows 7
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:23:56 am »

Sorry...
Posting to the beta forum since than this has more chances to get answered.
I am a complete Windows 7 idiot. Was avoiding it for a looong time.
Now, for my new build I installed W7 64 bit and having a problem with the sound.
If MC is running, no other sounds are playing. Skype, for example, is not working.
If I stop MC, everything is back to normal.
If I play music/audio with some other application, everything is fine (Skype is playing in parallel).
Should be something simple but I can't figure it out...
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks much,
--max

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: No sound... Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:33:59 am »

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:45:01 am »

If I uncheck "Exclusive" then MC doesn't work (but everything else does) - "The mixing format of your hardware does not support the current output format"

See here

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:01:13 am »

Also, when "Application volume" is selected in MC, it doesn't do anything...

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:05 am »

I also should mention, that if some other audio application is started before MC, MC doesn't produce any sound (in my setup, at least)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:06:19 am »

If you have only one sound device and you want to output sound from other programs (and/or OS) simultaneously with MC, you should use the DirectSound output mode. Then the Windows mixer takes care of mixing and converting (if needed) the various audio sources into a single output signal.

The WASAPI Exclusive, Kernel Streaming and ASIO output modes are exclusive and no other program can access the sound device when MC bypasses the Windows mixer and has a more direct connection to the device. This also explains why the Windows Application Volume adjustment does not work with these output modes. The Application Volume feature is an integral part of the Windows mixer. MC actually adjusts the Application Volume slider in the Windows Mixer control panel when possible (i.e. when the Direct Sound or Wave Out mode is selected).

WASAPI "non-eclusive" allows to add the outputted signal to the standard windows mixer output (if other applications or the OS are playing audio), but it still bypasses any processing that Windows mixer would normally do. I.e. if the audio output format in Windows Control panel is set to e.g. 48 kHz/16-bit/2-ch stereo, you must set MC to output in the same format.

A common solution is to use two audio devices -- a high quality sound card for music/video audio playback and another device (e.g. on-board) with cheap computer speakers for the system sounds, Skype, web browser, etc.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:27:06 am »

I also should mention, that if some other audio application is started before MC, MC doesn't produce any sound (in my setup, at least)

The exclusive modes need to have an exclusive access. If something is already playing audio MC cannot hijack the device.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 08:21:04 am »

WASAPI "non-eclusive" allows to add the outputted signal to the standard windows mixer output (if other applications or the OS are playing audio), but it still bypasses any processing that Windows mixer would normally do. I.e. if the audio output format in Windows Control panel is set to e.g. 48 kHz/16-bit/2-ch stereo, you must set MC to output in the same format.

That's interesting thanks Alex.  Are you referring to this setting in the image attached?
If so is there any guidance on changing that setting?
Any reason not to set it to the highest quality possible?

I find DirectSound I get very audible distortions with Media Center in current releases using the built in Dell HD soundcard I have.(and I'm by no means an Audiophile).  I don't get this with WSAPI.

However with WSAPI I always seem to find something that doesn't want to play - that setting could be the key I'm missing.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:40:22 am »

Alex,
I understand now.
DirectSound works.
 - thanks!

If you have only one sound device and you want to output sound from other programs (and/or OS) simultaneously with MC, you should use the DirectSound output mode. Then the Windows mixer takes care of mixing and converting (if needed) the various audio sources into a single output signal.

<snip>

audunth

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 04:21:39 pm »

I have MC set to output 192 kHz no matter what the source sample frequency is, bitdepth is set to 32, output mode is WASAPI - Event style. The Windows 7 sound properties is set as the image above. Everything, both music and video sound play perfectly, and the Windows sounds also play.

I have another zone set for watching movies with Exclusive access ticked so that Windows sounds won't disturb the movie sound.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up