INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I Permanently Disable Auto-Import?  (Read 6920 times)

SanSoo

How Do I Permanently Disable Auto-Import?
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:15:52 pm »

I'm going in circles trying to disable Auto-Import. Each time I open Media Center 18 it has put the check mark back into "Run auto-import in background" and off she goes again trying to catalog thousands files.

Am I going about his the wrong way? I don't want a Library at all.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How Do I Permanently Disable Auto-Import?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »

Import one file and it'll stop asking on launch.

To get the most from Media Center, you'll want to learn how to utilize the library features.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SanSoo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »

Thanks Matt.

I tried opening MC by clicking on an associated file and that did the trick too.

I understand libraries, but prefer to keep the search scope to a few specific folders.

Thanks again!

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:58:54 pm »

I think there is a circular situation.

In order to get Media Center to work properly, it needs to have imported the files that it is using.

But when someone is trying out Media Center to see if they want to purchase the product, they first want to see it playing one audio file or one video file.

It's like when you meet someone for the first time, you want to go for coffee first.  You don't want them moving into your house and unpacking their stuff on the first date... even though you may want them to do that later.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:01:02 pm »

I understand libraries, but prefer to keep the search scope to a few specific folders.

Set auto-import to only import what you want.

The "I don't want a Library" seems equivalent to "I don't want my car too go too fast, so I load it with bricks."
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:38 pm »

Your point, kstuart, is a good one (edit: for older versions of MC).

Edit: my comments below are no longer valid as of MC 18.0.12.  MC does not modify files or folders by default, so Importing is SAFE, and thus should be used to get the best features of MC.

I'd like to be able to respond that allowing MC to import files to populate its library is without concern.  But I can't, because by default, MC will modify files and folders (albeit, in generally non-harmful ways, but changes nonetheless).

It would be great if the Installer could have a Read-Only option, setting the appropriate MC options such that new users could feel confident no changes will be made to their files or folders, and forum helpers could say "Its non-destructive to Import, period".  A subsequent option to enable the default writing features would allow promotion from a trial user to a Media Center convert.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »

I'd like to be able to respond that allowing MC to import files to populate its library is without concern.  But I can't, because by default, MC will modify files and folders (albeit, in generally non-harmful ways, but changes nonetheless).

That's not true.

Auto-import does no tag writing by default.  You have to opt-in.

If you see something to the contrary, please report it as a bug.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:07 pm »

Matt - sorry, old data on my part.  I recall now the change that was made, in 18.0.12.

14. NEW: Auto-Import adds the option 'Write file tags when analyzing audio, getting cover art, and applying folder-based tags' (off by default, so a fresh install should never do any tagging).

I confirmed that it works as you say.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:54 pm »

"Write file tags when analyzing audio. getting cover art, and applying folder-based tags"
Where can i find info on what this does?

i decided to analyze my audio for our library during import. but this option above is unchecked. where does the analyzed audio data get saved if unchecked, and if unchecked how does one save it after audio is analyzed? are the analayzed files big? or is it just a jriver data file? ( i have lots of drives, and have all drives with a remaining space of about 2gigs. so i want to make sure the data files are not to big.

rjm

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:57:51 pm »

where does the analyzed audio data get saved if unchecked, and if unchecked how does one save it after audio is analyzed? are the analayzed files big? or is it just a jriver data file? ( i have lots of drives, and have all drives with a remaining space of about 2gigs. so i want to make sure the data files are not to big.
Analyzing audio calculates 4 numbers for each track: BPM, Intensity, Replay Gain, Peak Level.
These numbers are always stored in library fields (of the same name).
If you have set the import option to write file tags when analyzing audio, and you have "Options\General\Importing & Tagging\Update tags when file info changes" set, then those 4 numbers are are also saved in the audio file's meta data, assuming the audio file type supports saving that meta data.

If you did not initially save the audio analysis data in the files, and you decide to at a later date, then set the above options, select the file(s), and update tags from library.

MrC

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:04:00 pm »

great thanks guys!
Data size wise, i should be good to go then :)

rjm

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 06:09:07 pm »

great thanks guys!
Data size wise, i should be good to go then :)
Analyzing audio will add at most 3 MB to the size of your library files.
If also saved in the audio files the increase in file size should be minimal if at all.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:11:12 pm »

nice!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 06:13:15 pm »

off topic, but i posted a reply in jriver 12 (unsure if it will be seen.) do you guys know by chance the best audio to chose for ripping DTS cd's? i found 3 DTS cd's i bought years ago, and i'd like to rip them keeping the dts intact so they show up in my library.

rjm

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »

I have no experience ripping DTS, hopefully someone else can help.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 11:15:17 am »

I've always disliked the way MC runs auto import without at least asking first on a new install.  I am fine with 'auto import' being necessary for most new users, but I HATE it when programs do anything like this 'opt out' as opposed to 'opt in'.  IMHO there should be a dialogue box asking if you want to run auto import before it just starts doing it.  Most of my MC installs are for 'client only' use, and the last thing I want it doing is importing anything to the local library on those machines.

My install usually ends up including:
Not noticing the auto-import is starting, since it just tells in the corner that it is doing it and doesn't ask first and on these client machines I am usually setting up a lot of other stuff at the same time.
Cursing as I cancel the auto import.
Cursing as I clean out the junk it imported (what ever random windows or other mess happened to be on that machine).

Edit:
On the machines where I DO want a library, my files are not stored where MC is looking so I end up with junk I don't want in the library and nothing I do want in there.  Again more cursing as I clean it out before setting it up to work the way I want.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 01:15:39 pm »

I've always disliked the way MC runs auto import without at least asking first on a new install. 
It does ask and the screen flashes, but if you don't respond in 45 seconds, it imports for you.

You can set it the way you want under Tools/Import/Autoimport.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 09:55:32 am »

It does ask and the screen flashes, but if you don't respond in 45 seconds, it imports for you.

You can set it the way you want under Tools/Import/Autoimport.

Sorry, but asking in the lower left hand corner with a default of 'do it anyway' is not a 'nice' way to do things.  I absolutely HATE it when software does anything like this without my express permission.  IMHO, the best way to do this would be to have a pop up box where you have to explicitly give permission to import anything along with either direct ability to control how it works there or at least a link to the configuration page.

This is the one thing I absolutely despise about MC. At least I only have to deal with it infrequently.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 12:22:23 pm »

Sorry, but asking in the lower left hand corner with a default of 'do it anyway' is not a 'nice' way to do things.  I absolutely HATE it when software does anything like this without my express permission.  IMHO, the best way to do this would be to have a pop up box where you have to explicitly give permission to import anything along with either direct ability to control how it works there or at least a link to the configuration page.

This is the one thing I absolutely despise about MC. At least I only have to deal with it infrequently.
+1

chrisjj

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 06:42:10 pm »

+1

In case it helps, if (as here) the reason you have to deal with it repeatedly is that you're using Clear Library as a workaround for playlist update problems, here's a workaround that avoids the above problem: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63672.msg528963#msg528963 .

audunth

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »

I agree totally, it should be click here to run auto-import, not the other way around!
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 02:41:22 pm »

FWIW... There is a reason.

I could go either way on it, personally (it does annoy me too occasionally, though I only rarely encounter it when setting up a fresh copy of MC).  However, as a long-standing forum member, I can tell you...

There WERE complaints the other way.

I can't tell you how many times I wrote up answers to some variant of:  "All of my music is in iTunes.  How do I get my stuff into MJ/MC?" threads in the past, but it was WAY more than a handful of times.  Since they implemented the auto-auto-import, that is mostly gone.  Novices will typically store their music wherever iTunes puts it (c:\Users\<username>\Music\ which is in the default search path for MC's Auto-Import), and then they can essentially just install MC, wait a bit, and it'll be ready to use.

The other way requires user interaction, and seems scary to the uninitiated.  For example, my Dad is pretty much trained (not purposefully, but he is) that whenever his computer asks him a question he doesn't understand, he says no.  This inclination (which isn't rare, in my experience), plus ANY interactive "wizard" or "question" asked on first-launch, quite often means that novice users NEVER actually get to use the product during the trial.  They open it up, it doesn't import their iTunes library, asked them a bunch of crap they didn't understand, and as far as they're concerned, it is broken.  Keep in mind, many of these users don't even understand the concept of the filesystem.  You ask them where their music is stored, and they say "in iTunes".  If you say, no, I mean where on disk, they have no idea what you're even asking them to provide.

Like I said, I can see it from the other side (it annoys me too), but we're power users, and it should really only ever annoy you once.  As Jim pointed out, it stops asking when ONE file is imported.  It only asks for completely blank libraries.  If you are regularly resetting your MC Library, you're doing something wrong.  From JRiver's point of view, all those people who try it and can't figure it out, are lost sales.  For every guy who bothered (or was capable of) coming to Interact and posting a "How do I import my stuff?" thread, there were probably 10-30 people who just gave up silently.

There's money in them there waters, is what I'm saying, I guess.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about a brief first run dialog:

"I'm ready to find your media files now so I can give you the best MC experience."

[Yes, Give me the Full Monty]             [Nope, I know what I'm doing]

This is a nice final chance for users to make the choice.  And this seems to be common practice.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 03:04:48 pm »

Just to be clear ....  This isn't going to change.  We think it works well as it is. 

For experienced users, it works if they pay attention.  They can cancel import and set it the way they want.

For inexperienced users, it just works.

It's not possible to make something that everyone loves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up