INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Audio Files Problems  (Read 3655 times)

Bulldogge

Importing Audio Files Problems
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:34:03 pm »

I tried searching for an answer to this problem and had no success. I am hoping that someone can give me a hint to what is going on. I am on the trial so I am a novice at this program but not computers. Using Windows 8 and taking the music off a NAS that is located beside the MC computer and connected to the same router. I don't believe it's a network or NAS problem as I am accessing the network and NAS successfully with iTunes and Plex.

I installed MC 18 and imported the music folder on my NAS everything worked except there were a few folders that would not import no matter what I tried. The music in these folders does play on iTunes so it is good. Some of the folders were purchased from Apple and some where burned CD's. I decided today to start from scratch so I deleted everything and reinstalled the program. I imported the folder again and this time some of the previously missing folders showed up and others, that had imported last time, were missing. As I type this I am listening to one of the files that failed to import last time.

Anyone had similar issues? Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what is going on?

Thx

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Importing Audio Files Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:02 pm »

MC by default will ignore files you deleted from the library (so that it doesn't keep re-importing what you delete).

Go to:

Tools > Import... > Configure Auto-import

and uncheck Ignore files previously removed from the library and click Finish.  MC should clear its special Removed database and import any files not currently imported.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Bulldogge

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:46:59 pm »

MC by default will ignore files you deleted from the library (so that it doesn't keep re-importing what you delete).

Go to:

Tools > Import... > Configure Auto-import

and uncheck Ignore files previously removed from the library and click Finish.  MC should clear its special Removed database and import any files not currently imported.

Will try this - thx

TekzMekz

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:15:09 pm »

I am actually having the same problem. I have a library of about 20k tracks, all cleanly tagged, duplicate free, high quality m4a, mp3, and a few flac.

For some obscure reason, your software flat out refuses to import about 1500 tracks that it says are "bad." I don't know what your program is looking at, but I have no bad tracks. They all play properly in all the media players I have installed for testing (MediaMonkey, iTunes, WMP, PowerAmp, MusicBee, Google Play.)
I have tried removing the check that prevents the program from importing previously removed tracks. Any other ideas?

I would like to purchase MC, but there is no way I'm going to kiss good-bye over 1500 tracks just because MC doesn't like them.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:09:59 pm »

This is why I suggested in the Feature Requests that a "Reason Code" be reported for each file that import decides is "bad".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:46:06 am »

For some obscure reason, your software flat out refuses to import about 1500 tracks that it says are "bad." I don't know what your program is looking at, but I have no bad tracks. They all play properly in all the media players I have installed for testing (MediaMonkey, iTunes, WMP, PowerAmp, MusicBee, Google Play.)
I have tried removing the check that prevents the program from importing previously removed tracks. Any other ideas?

I would like to purchase MC, but there is no way I'm going to kiss good-bye over 1500 tracks just because MC doesn't like them.

Why they wouldn't have imported in the first place is puzzling.  It is certainly possible that there could be some obscure encoding or tagging bug that would have tripped MC up, but I can't imagine that it would have impacted so many files!  I wonder if something else was going on when MC tried to do the import scan?  Maybe an anti-virus was blocking (or slowing substantially) access to the files?

In any case, if it turns out to be a problem with MC's importer, I'm sure Matt will fix it if he can get a sample file.  I'm skeptical that it is a problem with the importer (or the files) in this case though, as there are so many of them.  If the problem was that common, we'd see all sorts of complaints.

Before we go down that route, I'd recommend trying to re-import them.

Once Media Center determines that a file is "bad" it doesn't re-check the file on subsequent auto-imports.  There is a way to remove them from this "bad list" and have MC try again to import them.  However, this is no longer necessary with 18.0.127 and newer.  Now, when you run the import scan "manually", the "bad list" is ignored and MC tries to re-import all found files.

So, make sure you have the latest build of MC18 (currently 18.0.128, at the top of this board), and try re-importing them by going to Tools > Import > Import a Single Folder.

If that doesn't solve it, please post back, and if you can perhaps supply logs and maybe a sample file, that may help the developers track down the issue.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

kstuart

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:57:46 pm »

Are there any other differences between an Auto-Import and Import A Single Folder ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:31:12 pm »

Are there any other differences between an Auto-Import and Import A Single Folder ?

Yes.  Using Auto-Import enables:

1. Tag On Import rules.
2. Carnac (Filename auto-parsing).
3. And all the other options and checkboxes (analyze audio, get cover art, etc) available under Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import.

To be clear, though, I suggested he use the Import A Single Folder method, only because I'm not sure what Matt meant by this:

18.0.127 (1/31/2013)

3. Changed: When running a manual import, files previously determined to be bad will be reanalyzed.  This makes it easy to get something off the naughty list if it is there incorrectly.

What is "a manual import"?  Is it only doing Tools > Import > Import a Single Folder (and drag-drop files from explorer onto MC)?  Or does it count doing Tools > Import > Run Auto-Import Now?

It is possible that this new "always re-try them" mechanism will also apply to doing Tools > Import > Run Auto-Import Now, but I'm not sure.  I figured it was better to just suggest using the Import a Single Folder method in this case for simplicity, until we get confirmation.  The Import a Single Folder mechanism is recursive, so it isn't a nightmare to use even if you have a big, deep folder structure.

You can also do it by drag-dropping the files from Windows Explorer onto MC itself, and then choosing Import from the pop-up choices.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:33:42 pm »

What is "a manual import"?  Is it only doing Tools > Import > Import a Single Folder (and drag-drop files from explorer onto MC)?  Or does it count doing Tools > Import > Run Auto-Import Now?

Both of those are manual, since you started them with a user action.

Sometimes auto-import runs automatically, like when it detects changes to watched folders.  This is when it's not manual.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:39:59 pm »

Yes.  Using Auto-Import enables:

1. Tag On Import rules.
2. Carnac (Filename auto-parsing).
This would be a good point to ask for a clear answer as to whether Carnac does anything to Audio Files under any circumstances ?

MrC

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »

I think my auto is a manual auto.  But I'm not sure, because I didn't read manual.

All kidding aside, let's document this once and for all.  There is a lot of confusion about what happens, when, and by which methods.

i think the Import a single folder could use some rewording, and it is not clear which, if any, auto-import settings are used.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:49:37 pm »

Both of those are manual, since you started them with a user action.

Sometimes auto-import runs automatically, like when it detects changes to watched folders.  This is when it's not manual.

Thanks for clarifying.  That's what I hoped, but I wasn't sure.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:39 pm »

This would be a good point to ask for a clear answer as to whether Carnac does anything to Audio Files under any circumstances ?

Carnac just applies tags.

So, no, it wouldn't change the audio part of audio files at all.  It could, I suppose, apply tagging to them, though the feature is certainly mostly focused on importing video files (and may even be file-type limited to only "Video-type" files, I'm not sure).  In any case, if you want to be sure that MC never changes the tags inside your files, you can Globally disable this easily:

Tools > Options > General > Update tags when file info changes.

If you want to let MC change in-file tags, but only when you manually change them, you can also disable it specifically to Auto-Import, under:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Configure Auto Import > Write File tags when analyzing audio, etc.

MrC

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 02:59:42 pm »

... It could, I suppose, apply tagging to them,

See: Carnac and Audio

(I just added it the other day)

MrC

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 03:07:24 pm »

In case I ruffled any feathers, I think I was suggesting that either or both of glynor and I work out the details and document them, thereby reducing JRiver's load and also supporting the community.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 03:08:49 pm »

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 03:21:21 pm »

In case I ruffled any feathers, I think I was suggesting that either or both of glynor and I work out the details and document them, thereby reducing JRiver's load and also supporting the community.

Didn't ruffle mine.

I'd remember.  And probably have liked it.  ;)

No, I agree.  Too much stuff, not enough time.  That Wiki page you wrote up looks pretty nice.  There's some other stuff I know (but would have to look up and verify) about specifics with the filenames that it does, such as:

1. DeCamelizer (fixing filename spacing issues, mostly for SageTV file imports)
2. Duration stuff with [Media Sub Type] (it isn't quite as simple as ~2 hours == Movie).
3. Other filenaming patterns it recognizes.

But, you did confirm that it works on Audio files too.  That's nice, though probably less important since most of those will have in-file tags, and in-file tags always "win" the contest with Carnac.

MrC

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 03:47:51 pm »

I only added the Audio portion.  The other Carnac stuff was there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up