INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: motherboard & cpu - any problem with my picks?  (Read 19142 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: motherboard & cpu - any problem with my picks?
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 11:01:30 pm »

I'm up and running on my new system.

Everything is working perfectly and I'm very happy with the performance and the quiet. Love the SSD! And it is so nice to be able to play video with MC again.

Thanks again for all the advice you guys gave me. I ended up with a much better system thanks to your help.

One tip that might be of interest. I had e-SATA problems for years. After a bunch of research I concluded the root cause was probably a bad controller on my old motherboard so I switched to USB and decided to wait until upgrading my motherboard before trying e-SATA again. You can imagine my surprise when e-SATA was just as unreliable with my new motherboard.

Through all the years I have always used those standard gray e-SATA cables that ship with external drive enclosures. On a hunch I bought this better quality black Startech cable (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41775) and my problems immediately went away. This cable is much more stable and secure in the motherboard connector.

I wonder how many millions of people with e-SATA problems believe they have a controller or drive problem when a cheap cable is the likely problem?

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: motherboard & cpu - any problem with my picks?
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 07:25:50 pm »

You were right about DisplayPort to DVI being fussy. Would not work at boot. Had to used HDMI to DVI. I hope DisplayPort to DVI works once Windows is up so I can use a second monitor without adding a graphics card.

I got my DisplayPort to work with a second monitor. I had to purchase an active adapter. Passive DisplayPort to DVI cable converters do not work.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=55259
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up