INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 15Gb of files Vanish!  (Read 1569 times)

The Chief Gerbil

15Gb of files Vanish!
« on: April 22, 2002, 10:39:03 am »

They were there a few minutes ago, but no they have gone. I have only lost music files but that is enough
The files were spread across two different drives and now seem to have vanished. They are not in the recycle bin, W2K reports no disk errors, nobody was using the computer, and the only application that was running was MJ8 (I use 237 because of the awful mega-me skins).

Does anybody have any ideas? is this a bug? is this my problem? I now have many folders with a few mp3 files in each instead of the dozens that should be in each folder. The folders seem to be intact, as are the files that have remained. (6076 files (31.339 Gb), updating the database removes 5737 of them to just 339 files (1.997Gb). Is the 1.997 Gb significant?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:15Gb of files Vanish!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2002, 10:44:10 am »

Not a bug.  MJ deletes files only if you tell it to.  

Try rebooting.

Then update to the latest build.  You can disable mega skins in the skin manager.

Then import again.  See what it finds.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 03:58:31 pm »

The Chief Gerbil

>> is this a bug?
No

>> is this my problem?
I think so

try do a reimport of all local drives.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

TChef

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2002, 12:50:36 am »

The Files are gone, MJ was the only program running. I do not think that it was a bug in MJ as such unless there was an error in the OS that MJ failed to deal with. I have been doing a lot of file conversions lately, sending the files to the bin. Is it possible for a drive to become too fragmented under NT (W2k)? too many links for the file table? I am only guessing.

I will leave it alone with the thought that life has its downs as well as ups, Bill Gates is probably to blame, and that MJ is still best of breed.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

nila

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2002, 02:17:41 am »

No - files cant go missing due to fragmentation. All that means is that your system will take longer to read the files.
If you mean that the files have physically disappeared then it could mean you have a dodgy hard drive. Also, if they have just vanished your FAT table could be corrupted.
Also, if they have all physicall vanished off of your hard drive then I'd imagine u want to recover them.
Get your hands on a copy of: EasyRecoveryPro or any similar software.
What it will do is scan your hard drive bit by bit and read the contents of it. It will then show you a list of all the files it finds on it and give you a chance to salvage them. It's a slow process but extremely effective.
If you have .sfv files with your albums you can use that to verify that they didn't get ruined once they are salvaged. Some obviously wont be recoverable and others might be but might be damanaged when u get them back.
If media jukebox had been responsible for deleting your mp3's you'd have heard your hard drive working extremely hard for quite a while as it tried to delete 15Gigs of music and you'd have noticed it.
The fact you didn't notice anything suggests that the files are still there but not being recognised.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2002, 05:44:59 am »

You were converting files... Perhaps the it only the files in the original format that are gone?  Did you try importing as others have suggested?  

You only have 2 drives, right, not a network?  I'm asking because I accidently deleted some files that were on a network drive, and noticed my mistake.  I didn't know that you can't get files like that back; they don't go in anyone's recycle bin.  Had do very quickly buy a restore program.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Gerbil

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2002, 11:10:06 am »

I have a complex system of about 8 drives, a mixture of SCSI and IDE, together with a small network of 3 machines. The actual files went AWOL from two different NT volumes, one located on one SCSI drive, and the other spanned across two different SCSI drives. The lost files seem to a mixture of files that had and had not been converted, some that go back anout 3 years (when I first started using MJ), and some from last week.

I have now given up on them. All those files that were from the web were backed up, it is only those files from many hours of ripping that I have lost(about 5500). My new outlook is that I can always rip them again, and this time with a bigger and better format (MPC perhaps?). If I play my cards right, the wife might even let me get another drive large enough to take backup copies

Many Many thanks for the assistance Though.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2002, 11:21:06 am »

Gerbil

Go FireWire.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Scronch

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2002, 11:24:43 am »

I wouldn't re-rip that many files to anything but APE.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2002, 12:14:13 pm »

I recently deleted some files from a floppy by accident.  They weren't in the Recycle Bin, and Norton Unerase couldn't find them either.  I did manage to recover them with this little jewel:
Easy Recovery Pro
http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecovery/

It has saved my bacon other times too.

You may still get some of them back, if you do the recovery before any programs overwrite the drive area where the deleted data still resides.

nila

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2002, 02:04:24 pm »

I'd definitely recommend re-ripping rather than using those programs. The time difference wont be THAT big as those programs can take a VERY long time on large drives (took around 8 hours on my 70 gig drive).
Also - you dont know if the files are damanaged at all whereas if you re-rip them you'll know they are perfect quality.

No disrespect to MJ because it truely is a great program, the best Jukebox I have found by far, - but if some of the CD's are older - I recommend using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip them due to it's error checking capabilities. It is the BEST ripper by far that I know of. I dont know of any other rippers that incorporate the same kind of checks and features that it includes into it's rips.
Maybe MJ does but I dont think so
Pages: [1]   Go Up