INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help me to set up Windows Firewall to get WebGizmo working.  (Read 2447 times)

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Recently I bought an iPhone 4S and I tried to set up WebGizmo to be able to play music from my Media Center (17) library on my iPhone at home and inside my network.
At first I couldn't get it working so I thought I did something wrong. But then I disabled Windows Firewall and all of a sudden it did work (I saw my local ip address in the webbrowser), so something must be wrong in the firewall settings, but I can't figure out what.
I looked into Windows Firewall and Media Center 17 is there and allowed for Private.
Under Advanced Rules Inbound, Media Center 17 is also there, Private - Enabled -UDP and TCP for "Any" ports Local and Remote. I also tried to change the ports from "Any" to 52199 but that didn't help.
What should I do to get it working with Windows Firewall enabled ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: PLease help me to set up Windows Firewall to get WebGizmo working.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 02:24:04 pm »

Put a check in both the private and the public columns in the firewall panel for Media Center 17.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:05:38 pm »

The check marks are already there.
Funny thing is when I install and enable another firewall (in this case PrivateFirewall) and disable the Windows Firewall everything works too.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »

The check marks are already there.
Funny thing is when I install and enable another firewall (in this case PrivateFirewall) and disable the Windows Firewall everything works too.

You could try removing the media center entries in the firewall and re-running MC. You should get the unblock message again.

You don't have yet another firewall on your PC (like zone alarm or something)?

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »

Thanks Bob for your reply.
I think I have solved it and know meanwhile what was the cause. Please correct me if I am, somewhere, wrong.

At first I suddenly remembered that, in the past, I had the same problem with an Archos tablet, that I already posted about that and that you helped me to solve it. I searched that post

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71257.msg481987#msg481987

but before following your advice given there again, I once more looked into the Windows Firewall settings. Under the Advanced Settings for Inbound Rules TCP of Media Center 17 I saw that it was set for Media Center 17.exe. I changed that to "All programs that meet the specified conditions" and also set Local Port to 52199 instead of Any and now it works perfectly.

Did I do all this correctly ?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:34:32 pm »

Thanks Bob for your reply.
I think I have solved it and know meanwhile what was the cause. Please correct me if I am, somewhere, wrong.

At first I suddenly remembered that, in the past, I had the same problem with an Archos tablet, that I already posted about that and that you helped me to solve it. I searched that post

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71257.msg481987#msg481987

but before following your advice given there again, I once more looked into the Windows Firewall settings. Under the Advanced Settings for Inbound Rules TCP of Media Center 17 I saw that it was set for Media Center 17.exe. I changed that to "All programs that meet the specified conditions" and also set Local Port to 52199 instead of Any and now it works perfectly.

Did I do all this correctly ?
Ton,
That's very interesting. The setting for inbound of Media Center 17.exe should have been enough. I'm not sure what  "All programs that meet the specified conditions" means exactly, but the worst possible case is that you've opened up 52199 for all programs and that really doesn't make any difference since we are the only service listening on that port.
Pages: [1]   Go Up