INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot browse through the transcoded video  (Read 1534 times)

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
Cannot browse through the transcoded video
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:38:35 am »

Hi all,

I noticed that if you have to transcode a video you are limited to viewing this video from beginning to the end in one shot, meaning that one cannot browse through different scenes at different moments in time. I find this behavior making things quite hard to use, would be nice to be able to play the file from whatever moment in time, or to be able to go back. Plus, if one has issues with DLNA connectivity this forces him or her to play again the file from the beginning.

I am pretty sure MC is not supposed to work like that, can you tell me what setting I need to adjust in order to have the browsing function inside a converted video?

Thanks,
Dan

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cannot browse through the transcoded video
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:17:06 pm »

Hi all,

I noticed that if you have to transcode a video you are limited to viewing this video from beginning to the end in one shot, meaning that one cannot browse through different scenes at different moments in time. I find this behavior making things quite hard to use, would be nice to be able to play the file from whatever moment in time, or to be able to go back. Plus, if one has issues with DLNA connectivity this forces him or her to play again the file from the beginning.

I am pretty sure MC is not supposed to work like that, can you tell me what setting I need to adjust in order to have the browsing function inside a converted video?

Thanks,
Dan
This depends a lot on the player/renderer and the type of file being played. The mpeg2/dvd profile should at least be seekable on most renderers. If you skip forward, you'll have to wait a few seconds as the transcoding adjusts (it's transcoding on the fly). Some renderers try to handle this by providing different ways to move in the stream, for example jump vs seek. You may want to check your renderers settings to see if it has anything you can set regarding seeking.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cannot browse through the transcoded video
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:46:26 am »

Bringing up an old thread:

I have been using JRiver for some years, but streaming is quite new to me. I have noticed skip and seek does not work neither when using Gizmo, WebGizmo nor streaming directly to a remote MC installation. I have all my blurays and dvds ripped into mkv, and they all work well locally. When starting remote, the time bar fills up during the buffer time, and stays 100% full. I am only able to play from start to stop.

I would definitely prefer the remote playback to have the same functionality as local playback. Am I doing something wrong, or is this an issue in MC.

I have tested both MC17 and 18 (.048), same result.
Pages: [1]   Go Up