INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: possible, to make/save a playlist, then send to another user using jriver?  (Read 2200 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

once they receive it, they could load that playlist in their library, and if they chose to play those files, the files from the playlist would stream from my library to their jriver player when called upon?

I'd like to make a playlist for someone, so they do not have access to my whole library. and thought maybe this would work?
possible?
Thanks

psam

• World Citizen

A playlist contains the path to each track.

Even if you export this playlist using a simple playlist format such as .m3u, you'll end up with a series of rows of type

.\..\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album\01 Track 01.m4a
.\..\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album\02 Track 02.m4a
.\..\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album\03 Track 03.m4a

On this file , you could perform a find/replace of ".\..\" with "\55.66.55.55\" if your server's static IP is say 55.66.55.55, and send your friend the resulting foo.m3u playlist.

But this would still require your friend to have access to the whole directory of your music. How can you permit READ operations on a directory, without permitting them to access the directory listing?

HTPC4ME

well was worth a shot. i figured being library server worked. if i made playlist. other clients not in home network would still be able to access it, being the location (unc path) would be in the playlist.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

see this program - Listfix  http://listfix.sourceforge.net/

This will do all the substitutions for you.  I have been interested in sharing playlists for a long time.

Hope this helps.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Sure they can... but it is a bit all or nothing at present.  They could use Gizmo (or WebGizmo, even another copy of MC as a Library Server client) to access your library and which point they could see and play whatever content you have put into that library.
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

been thinking about this... I guess i could load a virtual machine, and use that machine for guests. when i want a guest to view something. goto my main library on main machine, make a playlist, then copy that playlist over to guest virtual machine. by doing so, they would only see what i allow them to see.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

An easy way might be to just create the playlist, and using WebGizmo, navigate to the playlist, and copy and share that URL.

Of course, they could navigate to the Home and see everything.  You could remove all other access paths, leaving just Playlists under the WebGizmo "Items To Show".
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

You can run more than once instance of MC, can you also run more than one for the MC Server?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

what you really want is the ability to share a particular library ...
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

An easy way might be to just create the playlist, and using WebGizmo, navigate to the playlist, and copy and share that URL.
that would be stellar, saving space/processing power from not needing a virtual machine... if we could just lock that playlist down. plus another cool factor of using webgizmo, is the person i may want to share playlist with, may not have jriver... so if they would have instant access to that playlist (webgizmo) with no problems there would be no need to download programs, figure out how to set up program etc.

But to get jriver's marketing out there... on that webgizmo page they could have a link that states streaming of (library name) provided by jriver.. stream your library to family and friends too, get it here.

Fine legal print....jriver only redirects, does not hold any files on there servers, is not responsible for files customers may share....blah blah

i know im really reaching now.. but another cool thing to incorporate into it would be password protected playlists. by having those, you could have multiple playlists, parents, friends, co workers. and everytime they would goto that webgizmo playlist. it would be autorefreshing from within jriver server. would almost be like a syncing playlist for them. i could just send them an email.. check out your playlists folks, new vacation pics/vids in library.

HTPC4ME

Re: possible, to make/save a playlist, then send to another user using jriver?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:53:14 pm »

ya know, i guess that is where it's leading to isnt it, but i knew that wasnt possible yet. so thought i'd take shot in the dark on the playlist idea.
i'm leaning towards a virtual machine, as far as having 2 instances run. i dont think those stick on reboots, plus with 2 running one can not change settings on the other, and will forget which instance allows for changing settings/tags

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:12 pm »

if we could just lock that playlist down.

What do you mean by this?  The playlist can't be modified by a WebGizmo client.  It will be what you create.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:08:13 pm »

just a blank jriver page with logo, slogan/marketing tag line, legal mumbo jumbo...some simple graphic/graphics and the playlist (only the playlist jriver auto generated for that page would be clickable, and jriver.com) a template if you will

and from within jriver (future) maybe have  aright click options for playlists that states. create gizmo template.. click it. creates a link, and throws up the jriver page template with just the playlist clickable.

i dunno, throwing ideas out.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:04 pm »

i have alot of personal media, and would love to share it with friends and family.. and unlike most here probley, my dad's whole side is in germany. so how great would it be to have a jriver playlist/viewable dropbox. that they could have access to at all times, without having access to my other files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up