INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcast Problems  (Read 2987 times)

Gankaku

• Recent member
Podcast Problems
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:01:00 am »

I can't get my podcasts to automatically sync (or at least Sync with a button) like I had set up in v12.

OK I figured out the below part; gotta click on Podcasts first to get into the Advanced Options. That is not clear in the wiki. Took me an hour to figure that out!

I went to the wiki and it says "To keep the files truly synchronized, remember to check “delete from handheld any files not in sync list” under Advanced Options (Tools > Options > Handheld)."

However, when I go to Tools, Opts, Handheld, there are no Advanced Options settings, and I can't find anywhere where it says "Delete from handheld...etc."

Could someone please tell me how to get into the Advanced Options so I can set this up? Thanks.

Gankaku

• Recent member
Re: Podcast Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:14:16 am »

OK sorry to reply to my own post; I can no longer seem to modify the original.

Well. After clicking "Podcasts" (which is the ONLY media I wanted to sync and mess with) and checking "Delete from Handheld any files not in the sync list" as the wiki said, EVERY SINGLE THING on my mp3 player was deleted, except those podcasts. I did not expect it to touch my other media, since I was specifically working with podcasts only. I'm not very happy about this because I have to dig out some regular music and videos I had on my mp3 player and reinstall them.

Obviously, the program is not working as I expect it to, and I have to adjust. How can I set up my Media player to sync my podcasts (i.e. delete those older episodes automatically and put the new ones on my player) WITHOUT touching my other media?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:20:39 pm »

Create a Playlist or Smartlist that defines exactly what you want on the device (ask if you need help on how to do this).  Modify this list when you want to make changes.  Configure the HH to sync from this list.

You can set the "Delete from Handheld any files not in the sync list" setting to ensure that the files in the list and on the device are one and the same.

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Gankaku

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »

OK thank you; I used your suggestion and will try out this method. I've been wanting to set the podcasts up in their own playlist anyway. Thanks!

Gankaku

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 12:01:11 pm »

FYI I followed your suggestion and I still had problems - it deleted any albums that were not in my Playlist. I ended up putting them all into playlists. I will watch it again tomorrow; will add a separate album and videos today, and see if they're still there tomorrow. :D

MrC

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:10:14 pm »

FYI I followed your suggestion and I still had problems - it deleted any albums that were not in my Playlist. I ended up putting them all into playlists. I will watch it again tomorrow; will add a separate album and videos today, and see if they're still there tomorrow. :D

That's what the option "Delete from Handheld any files not in the sync list" does.  It makes the destination device contain only the items in the playlist.  Think of your sync list as the exact list of files you want on the remote device.

Gankaku

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 03:48:13 pm »

That's what the option "Delete from Handheld any files not in the sync list" does.  It makes the destination device contain only the items in the playlist.  Think of your sync list as the exact list of files you want on the remote device.

I'm having awful troubles with this. I'm sorry to say it's been two days of frustration. I'm not sure exactly why either.

Today (after having all my files on my handheld deleted yesterday), somehow, they all came back. Are they backed up somewhere? Then after being happy (because EVERYTHING old and new was up on the handheld), I began to upload those tagged family videos in my other post (all that worked, btw and I'm happy with that!) Once I sync'd again, all was lost, again. I have a mismatch of stuff up there.

The one thing that's good is my Podcasts playlists; they're set to sync. However, I think what got messed up is when I set videos to sync as well. Maybe I shouldn't have touched that, but I wanted my videos that I uploaded to the HH to NOT delete when I sync. So I checked that box too.  Next thing you know, I have junk videos up there that I didn't ask for (I'm assuming it took all vids in my library) as well as deleting once again those old videos I lost yesterday. *sigh*

Can I recover those deleted files in any way and just start over? Like, are they in the library backups or something? The "Delete from Handheld any files not in the sync list" is just not working for me. I want to go back to doing every thing manually and deleting my podcasts one by one after I've finished listening to them. At least that way, I didn't lose precious family videos and images. It's going to take me another two days to get them back (install old hard drive into old computer, etc. ugh)

Sorry to be a bother, but wow, this is driving me nuts.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »

Maybe you're seeing an MC18 bug, or maybe its something else.

Here's how I finally worked out how to best sync for my usage.   I created a smartlist which includes only the files I want on my HH device (actually, it's a virtual HH, which is just a folder on a disk).  In the HH options for syncing: "Check any that should be included in your sync", I've only selected my sync smartlist.  All others are deselected.

Once that is done, I recheck the sync, and the list of files in the playlist are enumerated.  Some will be In Queue (which means they'll be transferred), and some will be listed as On Device.  Typically I have my Sync list open in one tab, and the HH open in another tab.  This way, I can compare the number of files in the sync list with the number of files on the HH.  Once synced, with the option to Delete on HH anything not in the sync list, both lists should have exactly the same files.  An easy check is the number of files in each list.

I've worked through, and reported, several bugs, which have since been resolved in MC17.  There is one remaining, but this relates to files where properties have changed, so syncing these files results in dups.

If you're seeing any issues, you may have to enable logging to track down what is going wrong.

Gankaku

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:44:40 am »

Thank you for your description of what you're doing. By reading it, it seems I did EXACTLY as you did. Those are the steps I had followed, minus comparing the number of items on my HH to the number of items in the sync list. Yet my previous stuff is still gone. Well I'm going to be pulling it from backup here in the next few days.

However, when you said compare the number of files in sync with handheld, I went and started looking harder, and realize why there are extra videos up there I didn't ask for - because my Smartlist is including "Recently played" and those videos were. So I'm unchecking all that and hopefully it won't pull anymore unwanted stuff off my drive and throw up there.  I've not tested it but I'm sure it will work when I uncheck those. That's one problem answered.

EDIT: I've included images with keywords, and put them in my smartlist too because I want them included in my sync. However, they're not going up there to my HH (even though they're showing up in my smartlist and yes the list is checked to sync.)

ALSO a big question. Say my hard drive dies/wipes whatever. Is it the library file I take that has kept a copy of my files that are on the HH? Because...if I would go and set up Media Jukebox again on a new drive, then go to sync, it's gonna wipe off everything on my mp3 player (again). How can I avoid this happening? Do I have to remember to copy everything off my mp3 player first? It seems an awful lot of work.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:00:24 pm »

EDIT: I've included images with keywords, and put them in my smartlist too because I want them included in my sync. However, they're not going up there to my HH (even though they're showing up in my smartlist and yes the list is checked to sync.)

I gave a quick reply (more info questions) in your new thread regarding images.

ALSO a big question. Say my hard drive dies/wipes whatever. Is it the library file I take that has kept a copy of my files that are on the HH? Because...if I would go and set up Media Jukebox again on a new drive, then go to sync, it's gonna wipe off everything on my mp3 player (again). How can I avoid this happening? Do I have to remember to copy everything off my mp3 player first? It seems an awful lot of work.

The MC library contains references to, and metadata regarding, the external media.  It contains no media itself.  You'd back up media files using your own mechanisms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up