INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Introducing Myself As a New User  (Read 1020 times)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Just Introducing Myself As a New User
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:19:11 pm »

Hi, this is my first post having just installed J River Media Centre for the first time.

I have been running three HTPC's in my house for many years, firstly using MyHTPC, Meedio, and then MeediOS. I have also dabbled with XBMC and MediaPortal but couldn't really get on with those two.
So, basically, I'm looking for an alternative to MeediOS which will offer similar flexibility but with less problems and bugs.

Anyway, first impressions a couple of hours after install are very good. I have most of my ripped DVD's & Blurays imported and I am very impressed with the internal video player.

Obviously, I'm going to make full use of the 30 day trial period before deciding whether to go ahead and purchase but there are a couple of licensing questions I have.

1. Having purchased the full version of MC17 what are the ongoing costs which I could incure. For instance, it appears that the next version MC18 will require an upgrade purchase so how often do these major chargeable upgrades occur (once a year, twice a year etc).

2. Does the purchased license only allow installation on one PC in the house or can I use the same license to install on multiple PC's in the same house. Obviously, if I have to purchase a seperate license for each installation then that will significantly influence my decision to purchase or not.

I'm sure I'm going to be posting many questions in these forums over the coming weeks but hopefully at the end of it I will have a nice stable system that the whole household can use.

Russell

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Just Introducing Myself As a New User
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:28:59 pm »

Hello Russell,

If you purchase a v17 license you will receive a V18 licence, good for both 17 & 18.

You may install your key on all of "your" pcs (as the owner says.. within reason). There is a major version about once a year and they offer a discounted price for early adopters...

Hope you enjoy your experience with the program, and find the forums usefull, search is your friend...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Just Introducing Myself As a New User
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 05:34:43 pm »

Thanks Ken, that's really good to know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up