INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memory Uage  (Read 1039 times)

nila

Memory Uage
« on: April 21, 2002, 10:34:17 am »

Hiya,
Just wanted to mention and ask about the memory usage with Media Jukebox 8.
I'm running windows 2000 pro and when Media Jukebox is maximised it uses around 28Mb according to the task manager.
When it is minimised it uses around 17Mb.
I personally dont care how much it uses because I have 756Mb of RAM but for a lot of the other users (and I'm also thinking about some of the other computers in this house that my mother for instance uses) this seems a lot. Especially when it is in Mini Me mode. When it is in this mode it is basically just a player with no other features needed. The memory usage by it should therefore be very small or at least I see no reason why it should be so high.
I admittedly have a lot of songs (apx. 7500) and I'm not sure if Media jukebox loads them all into memory to speed up the database processes.
Any feedback on the high memory usage levels?
It might be a nice extra feature if you also added a low memory usage mode as well as part mode.
Maybe have it revert back to default with no skin as I'm sure the skinning requires extra memory and also make the window that appears on the Playing now window disappear. I'm sure that window requires quite a bit of memory as you probably have the Internet Explorer engine incorporated to display the pages.

Anyway, not a complaint as such, more of a query.

Thanks

nila

RE:Memory Uage
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2002, 10:37:03 am »

Oh yeah, and this level seems to fluctuate.
When I first minimise Media Jukebox to Mini-Me Mode it shoots down to around 5 or 6Mb.
Once it's been going for a while however it seems to settle back up to around 17 Mb again.

RAVMAN

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2002, 12:08:50 pm »

Under WinXP Home on P4, I am using about 12MB RAM with MediaJukebox.exe according to task manager. This doesn't seem change when minimized. I have 512MB RAM on my machine. I don't think that 11 to 12MB is bad, but I thought I would post so you could compare your findings with someone else with a different configuration. Maybe the file type that is playing is a factor, I am playing a VBR MP3 file (Peter Gabriel Security Album that I just ripped from an old CD. Since the CD was old and is less than perfect I ripped in Digital Secure Mode which worked great).

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2002, 06:21:42 pm »

Don't know if this is elated to yr comments, but I run MJ both at home and a client in the office to stream my library. In the last several builds, experience frequent buffering, then have received insufficient resources messages about 45 min. - 1 hr. into longer playlists. MJ gets very quirky, freezes up,large sections get whited out. Files are not corrupted, play perfectly on home computer.

Have only a modest amount of memory (160) at each end. Have not monitored usage in the office as yet.

Any thoughts wld. be appreciated.

HTH

nila

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2002, 07:02:55 pm »

RavMan - Just out of curiosity - how many mp3's do you have? VBR files I would imagine would require more resources than standard cbr files which mine are. I'm just wondering if you have a smaller collection which might be why the smaller memory usage.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2002, 07:44:57 pm »

Here's some random thoughts:

- the database is in memory, and this takes a fair chunk with big libraries -- but it's also part of the reason that MJ is the fastest Jukebox

- there is some overhead in our pure 32-bit playback engine and also some overhead if you use long cross-fades

- visualizations are very memory hungry -- they only consider performance, never memory

- once IE has been displayed, mem usage will look high, but minimize and restore MJ and it'll be back down

That brings up the most important point:

- the memory you see reported by Task Manager is actually pretty meaningless (here's one article explaining why: http://www.codeproject.com/system/howbig.asp )

Take care everyone.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up