INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance issues  (Read 2003 times)

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
Performance issues
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:52:26 am »

I am using MC 17 on a fanless PC referred to as C.A.P.S. Version 1 described on the Computer Audiophile web site. 

The device has 2 GB memory, 32 bit CPU, solid state drive, WIN7 professional. I believe it is single core. Nothing else "running" (ie no  IE, word processing, etc, etc)   on the device except VNC server and Splashtop server.  I use these to aces the headless CAPS device.  No virus protection, no using the internet.    I have NAS drives but all is hooked up WIRED CAT 5.  No movies.

I often have lockups, actually more slowdowns,  when using MC 17 - Windows box pops up saying "do I want to wait or shut down the program."  Waiting 10-30" usually "gets me back" - rarely do I  have to totally bail out.

Is there anything I can do to enhance performance or is the PC just too much of an underperformer in 2012 for this much software?

Other music player software, MediaMonkey 3 and 4, has no issues

I want the benefit of better sound but am finding the UI challenge to be a high wall to climb.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Performance issues
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:56:17 am »

This isn't normal.

What are you doing in the program when you get the hang?  Anything in particular?

Try turning on logging (Help > Logging).  If you get it to hang a few times, send the log to logs at jriver dot com.  I'd like to see what's happening.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »

Will collect info but generally "I am doing stuf", ie changing to another directory, starting a search, etc.

things are OK (I think) when MC is "just playing" a playlist

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:28 pm »

Is the delay occuring because your system is accessing its NAS storage/drives? Sometimes I get a similar delay while my drive is spinning up.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:01:16 pm »

Thanks for the logs.

I think the slowdown is because there are things in the program (files, configuration, or something) pointing to a computer that's off.

This is a big problem with Windows -- browsing a UNC path for a machine that's not available can stall out for up to a minute.

For example, here's a sample from your log:

0008843: 7844: Podcast: CPodcast::RemoveConfig: Start
0008843: 7844: Podcast: CPodcast::RemoveConfig: Resetting member variables
0010171: 8128: Handheld: CWMDMThread::Thread: Enumerating devices
0025234: 7844: General: CFileSystemManager::GetDriveExists: Error using connection '\\STUDYCOMPUTER\My Photos': 53
0025234: 7844: General: CFileSystemManager::GetDriveExists: Drive does not exist (drive: \\STUDYCOMPUTER\My Photos, filename: \\STUDYCOMPUTER\My Photos\)

This shows a 16 second lock while we check for \\STUDYCOMPUTER\My Photos.

Do the delays go away if you turn all the computers on, or if you switch Options > File Location to point to local paths?

Thanks.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:09:18 pm »

This shows a 16 second lock while we check for \\STUDYCOMPUTER\My Photos.

I know little/nothing about programming, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but would it be possible to not "lock" MC because of this, but maybe instead, finish waiting in the background while MC continues it's thing?

I get long pauses often also, usually while the drives in my server spin up, and it is a bit frustrating to have to wait 15 or 30 seconds to just click on a view to see something while MC is "hung" for an unknown reason (even though I suspect the cause).
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:06:07 pm »

I got a private message with regards to this.  Let's keep the discussion public.

What did you learn after trying to turn all the computers on, like I suggested above?  If this helps, we can work from there.

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »

I am also slow to respond.

The pc was looking for pictures on a drive that does not exist.  That caused a lot of problems.  Fixed that as I remember by pointing to a drive that does exist.

Music is now on USB drives hooked to another machine on network accessible to all users on network.  No frequent long slowdowns ( as before) but I still get an occasional wait or shutdown.  Tolerable.  I tried it with a smaller library and this also helped a lot.  Thus I think large library is main issue

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 04:59:28 pm »

... I think large library is main issue
That isn't likely, but how large is it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up