INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename move and copy files  (Read 1455 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Rename move and copy files
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:21:44 pm »

I am trying to remove spaces from the beginning of my files and I do not know what I am doing wrong but it does not seem to be working.

What setting do I need for it to change the file name but leave it in the same directory?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Rename move and copy files
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:23:33 pm »

MC appears to have a bug that causes the Rename tool to become confused with leading spaces exist in a file name.

If you unset the Directories and Filename rules, you'll see that MC strips the leading spaces from the New name in the preview.  But letting the tool proceed results in an error.

Likewise, if you try to use a Filename rule, the same error occurs.  See attached images.

Until the bug is fixed, as a workaround, you can do this in two steps, first renaming the files to remove the spaces and adding a temporary string, and second, removing the temporary string.  See attached images.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:59:28 pm »

MC appears to have a bug that causes the Rename tool to become confused with leading spaces exist in a file name.

This is actually a Windows issue.

If you try to remove the leading spaces in Windows Explorer, you'll see the same error.

Going a level lower and using the command prompt would probably work, but we currently use the shell for file operations since this can display progress in a manner users are accustomed to, support the Recycle Bin, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:25 pm »

Wow, so it is!  How clunky is that?

Oh, well, the workaround is probably sufficient.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up