INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP for room equalisation  (Read 1881 times)

qdfb

• Recent member
DSP for room equalisation
« on: October 01, 2012, 06:15:29 pm »

Hi

How good is DSP as a tool for neutralising room / system sound imbalances?  This is for a simple 2 channel system.  Any tips using DSP for this purpose?

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP for room equalisation
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:30:18 am »

Measure room response with Accurate or Audiolense, generate filters for us in JRiver MC with Convolution DSP.

EDIT: Ok, I missed your first question - about how good it can be. I am sure there are gurus here that have a more scientific explanation, but my two cents are:
- It is a great tool for creating crossovers
- Even out frequency response works fine, especially to dampen boomy bass peaks (do not attempt to lift nulls)
- Some filters can also correct groupe delays, i.e. correct for (frequency dependent) reflection timing problems.
- You will need to work a LOT to get it right. Its fun.

qdfb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:43:54 am »

Respectfully, it's not fun, its a complete waste of my time! Its nerdy geeky stuff, when it should be plug and play.

This is where audio falls well short of photography, and it should be simpler. I can produce a printer profile in minutes, but audio is a different proposition. 

I think the Audiolense idea makes sense, given the above.  I will check it out.  How are the "profiles" applied in 18?

Quentin

qdfb

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »

A few questions, because these third party packages cost significant money...

Do these "Convolution" FIR filters work with Wasapi Event style or other output methods within MediaCentre?

which software solution is best for use with Mediacentre?  Any pro sand cons between them?

Thanks
Quentin

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:44:02 pm »

Respectfully, it's not fun, its a complete waste of my time! Its nerdy geeky stuff, when it should be plug and play.
Heard of irony?  ;)
And really, the plug and play world today is called receivers, with their bulk calibrated microphones and fit-for-all (or none) pre-programmed listening preferences.

This is where audio falls well short of photography, and it should be simpler. I can produce a printer profile in minutes, but audio is a different proposition. 
I wouldn't know how you compare printer profile production and photography technical skills with audio. Can you elaborate on that?

This is where I get curious - should a very intricate and quite advanced mathematical/physical phenomenon be simpler because someone think it should? There are things in the world that are not simple and will require quite some effort. Respectfully, all things are not everyone's cup of tea either, however hard you'd like it to be.

I think the Audiolense idea makes sense, given the above.  I will check it out.  How are the "profiles" applied in 18?
It does. Step one is to properly place your speakers, listening position and optimise your room. Step two would be to get your head above water on how FIR filters work. That is best done other places than at this forum, e.g. at www.juicehifi.com (Audiolense web page), and user forums discussing the topic. There are multiple text books on the topic as well. Step three would be to buy proper measuring gear (calibrated mic and minimum a two-channel input/output audio card to produce and record sine sweeps). Step four is to measure, play around with filtering, target curves.

Finally, you can have Audiolense generating your filter file. This can be loaded into the Convolution DSP plugin in MC. Voila  :)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:48:24 pm »

Do these "Convolution" FIR filters work with Wasapi Event style or other output methods within MediaCentre?

Yes.

which software solution is best for use with Mediacentre?  Any pro sand cons between them?

You should rather phrase it "which software solution works best for me and my taste?". Once the filter is generated, MC wouldn't know the difference. Accurate and Audiolense have some principal difference in how the filters are designed, or so I have heard. I have only tested Inguz DSP (free, but discontinued) and Audiolense, and the latter is preferred by far. There are some or many that prefer Accurate and how its filter sounds.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:40:27 pm »

This is where audio falls well short of photography, and it should be simpler.

You may want to stay with your point and shoot hobby.

The performance of plug and play audio has a long way to progress yet.

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »

Hee, hee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up