INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does my MC Server know to turn on when I start MC from a client?  (Read 1412 times)

bassmann

• Recent member

Hi,

Just found something interesting today and was wondering if anyone can tell me how this works...

I have MC18 on my HTPC running as a media server ( and player). I have MC18 as a client on my laptop which is configured to connect to the media library on the HTPC.

Today I started the client on the laptop wirelessly with the HTPC off. Initially it failed to connect but suddenly the HTPC powered on by itself and cold booted (not from hybernation) and then connected to the media library. To be sure what i was seeing, I shut down both machines retried. Sure enough, opening the client from the laptop boots the HTPC server.

To be honest I can't take credit for this discovery, the girlfriend worked this out because she couldn't be stuffed switching on the MC Server first.

How on earth does the MC Client manage to cold boot the server? and wirelessly?

Bassmann

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How does my MC Server know to turn on when I start MC from a client?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:27:47 am »

It's a built-in feature that allows beta team members access to your library while you are asleep. Please don't make a fuss otherwise they may pull the plug on it!! Cheers. ;) :D

More seriously, it'll be "Wake On Lan". I don't have much idea how it works, but my meagre understanding was that the PC needed to be either asleep or hibernating for it to work. I didn't think it was possible to get a powered down PC to "Wake On Lan", but maybe I'm wrong.

There's a wiki entry here: ---> http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan that contains a link to a thread with more info.

-marko

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How does my MC Server know to turn on when I start MC from a client?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:29:44 am »

It's a function called "Wake on LAN". MC sends a data package (either via Wifi, LAN or over a 3G network or what ever) with specific code to tell the computer to turn on. This works in all states as sleep, hibernate or powered off. Most network components produced almost the last decade have this functionality. You can turn this on and off under the Media Network options.

Darn. Marko beat me to it :(
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up