INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lowest spec laptop for a client?  (Read 1977 times)

knobblywobbly

• Recent member
Lowest spec laptop for a client?
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:34:27 am »

Hi everyone,

What would you consider to be the lowest specification laptop that could reasonable be expected to perform as a client for MC?

I'm just setting up my HTPC (again) using MC, so all my music (mp3) files and movie (divx and dvd) files will be held on it. I want to use a couple of laptops as clients, but as I need to buy these secondhand I'd like to get them as cheap as possible and the lower the spec the cheaper they should be.

I do have one old one lying around - I think it's a P3 with 256Mb RAM. Would something like this work?

knobblywobbly

• Recent member
Re: Lowest spec laptop for a client?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:47:46 am »

Anyone?

Or can you point me to the "minimum specs required" page in the wiki, as I can't find it.

Thanks.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lowest spec laptop for a client?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:04 am »

I don't think a minimum specs configuration can be given. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

If you just want to play audio and don't care about how it sounds, you can pick a 2nd hand celeron/P4 off of ebay.
If you want to play some dvd's and don't care how it looks or sounds, that celeron might just handle that too if it had a decent videocard.
If you want to play full HD movies with DTS-MA, use DPS settings and maximize your video quality, you're looking at a decent i5 with a GT450M or equivalent graphics card.

See what I'm getting at?

Tell us more about your plans and we might be able to answer you better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up