INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping a lossy copy of my collection  (Read 1274 times)

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
Keeping a lossy copy of my collection
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:12 am »

Hey everyone,

I have most of my collection in FLAC format, but would like to keep a separate copy of it (preferably outside of MC's library) in MP3 format, for upload to various devices.

Is there an easy way of automatically doing this, without reencoding files that are already in MP3 format (and preferably keeping the AlbumArtist\AlbumName directory structure)?

So far, the only way I've found of doing this is:
- Select my entire collection, and choose "Convert files", making sure to disable the checkbox for converting files that are already in the target format
- Manually copy all files that were already in MP3 format
- Convert or manually copy whenever I add something new to my collection

I'd be really happy if someone could point out an easier way :) Thanks!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Keeping a lossy copy of my collection
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:42:33 am »

If it is a device that is supported by MC, you can simply sync the device with MC. Use the sync configuration on how you want MC to handle unsupported files or high bitrates and MC will convert the files and store them in the Conversion Cache folder (look at Tools/Options/File Locations).

In MC, files with a copy in the conversion cache will show as a stack, indicating a converted version exists.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:56:13 am »

I've found the best method for me was to create a virtual handheld (a folder on a drive) and use HH sync.   Cover art can be automatically embedded (whereas Convert does not support this), and direct to HH used to cause/can cause problems, often requiring reconversion of entire sync list.  Direct to HH can be slow, polling the device to check sync status, and problems w/device association has required re-syncing/converting entire sync lists.  I don't find for the Conversion Cache and stacks robust enough as currently implemented, so avoid them and prefer a manual virtual sync folder.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 01:32:17 pm »

Great, thanks for your ideas! I will try them out later today :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up