INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Library Update Not Working  (Read 8608 times)

wewilli1

• Recent member
Automatic Library Update Not Working
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:20:59 pm »

I have JRiver set up to automatically monitor my TV Show and Movie folders and the 2 directories are in a network mapped drive (v:).  The HTPC and the media server are both Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machines.  JRiver does not have write permission on the media server and JRiver is not running on the media server.  I configured automatic update to fix broken links but don't delete entries when when network or external drives are unmounted.  I also have automatic update set to run in the background.  The problem is that it never updates - or is extremely slow to update.  In one case, I made a change in my TV Shows directory and it took around 5 days for it to get detected by JRiver.  In other cases, I just got sick of waiting and started a manual update.  My media collection is very large - I have a huge collection of music, video, and family photos.  But, when I do a manual update it only takes about 10 minutes to scan everything.  You would think that navigating to a location in the media library that no longer existed would trigger a library update.  You would also think that using the explorer gadget to play back media in a watched directory that is not currently in the library would trigger a rescan.  Unfortunately, neither of these 2 obvious trigger conditions starts a media library scan.  Or, if it does start a scan, it takes FOREVER to run in the background.  The HTPC is put to sleep when we are done watching videos and this might be part of the problem.  The only thing in the media library that always finds the media I'm looking for is the media explorer gadget.  If the media explorer gadget indicated what shows had already been played I would just use the gadget and forget about the rest of it.

I am currently evaluating the software for purchase.  If I can fix this problem I will purchase the software.  If I can't fix this problem I am going to move on and evaluate other HTPC software.  Video playback quality has been outstanding and network connectivity to the media server has been flawless.  System stability was good enough but could use some improvement.  If I could get the library working up to a reasonable level it would be a no brainer to make the purchase.

Please answer the following questions:
1. What can I do to make the library update faster?
2. What triggers a library update?
3. Is there a way to start an update from theater view using an IR remote?

wewilli1

• Recent member
Re: Automatic Library Update Not Working
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:44:14 am »

Can someone at JRiver please give me some advice on how to fix this????  This is basic fundamental operation of the JRiver library.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:25:57 am »

Still no response from JRiver???  Someone at JRiver knows enough about the auto library update algorithm to provide direction on this issue.  Since apparently no one knows the answer, we really need some background information on how the auto update algroithm is supposed to work.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any specifications on this topic.  Something is supposed to trigger an update.  When the update starts, it should take x minutes to complete.  Using the explorer gadget may or may not trigger an update if it finds new media or missing media.  There may be differences in the way the update algorithm runs based on the storage type (internal hard drive, external hard drive, network mount, etc).  If I knew the answer to these questions, it would be a lot easier to say if there is a bug, configuration issue, or if everything is working as expected.  It's been nearly a week since this question was posted and no one at JRiver has responded.  Clearly the community forum technical support paradigm is not working for me.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:49:59 pm »

This still remains an issue.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »

What kind of network storage is it? I understand its read only?

I'm not entirely sure how its supposed to work either but I think I read somewhere someone suggested the OS and the network drive need to support something like a 'notification' for MC to detect changes and trigger the auto-import to scan the folder. I can't find this post I'm afraid :(.

Can you try with a small subset on a local drive on the HTPC to see if it works at all? Next step would be to try that subset on the network drive and see if making it writable helps.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:42:25 pm »

The network storage is a mapped network drive to a windows 7 professional computer.  I will run some tests this weekend as you suggested. I couldn't find anything on Google about file change notification but I'll keep looking.  I can open windows explorer on the HTPC and see the new files on the RAID Server so the new files are available to the HTPC.  I can also use the explorer gadget in JRiver software and see the new files.

That's a bummer that you have to disconnect and reconnect to the server to make the client see the library updates from the server.  I was seriously considering using the server software as a work around because the server is online 24x7.  But, if you have to disconnect and reconnect for the client to see the library updates then it wouldn't work for me.  I also don't like the fact that the server does not run as a service and you have to log in to start the server.  But, I would probably live with the fact that it doesn't run as a service as long as it ran reliably and provided the library updates to the client.

I really like the JRiver Software.  The video quality is excellent, I really like the way fan art is displayed, and the overall user interface is excellent.  I want to buy a copy except that it's not usable if the library does not update automatically.  If I could find a way to trigger a manual update from theater view that would be acceptable (but less desirable than automatic updates).  If I could click a single button on my Harmony remote that would work for me.  We operate the HTPC with a Harmony remote, not a keyboard.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 06:00:57 pm »

InflatableMouse - I just tested the server software and it worked exactly like you said.  The server set up to monitor the video directory.  I added a new video to the video directory and the server picked it up right away.  I verified the new movie was in the server database using the JRiver software on the server.  I then went to the HTPC which was already connected to the server and the new movie was not there.  I restarted the J River software on the HTPC and the new movie was there.  So, the client does not get the updates even when it's connected to it's own server.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:14:29 am »

So, the client does not get the updates even when it's connected to it's own server.

Yeh, I don't know if the client refreshes the database (did you try F5?) or if it just takes some time.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:06:02 am »

I tried F5 on the HTPC with the HTPC connected to the J River server and it did not refresh the database.  I ran a test where the HTPC was connected to the server.  I added a video file to the server and verified that the new file was in the J River database on the server.  I then went to the HTPC and tried to access the file but it was not there.  I tried using F5 to update the database but it did not update.  I then restarted the HTPC J River software and the new file was available on the HTPC. 

I also tried F5 on the HTPC using the HTPC's own database and it also did not refresh the database.  I think automatic update does run in the background on the HTPC but it takes a very long time for it to update when video is stored on a network mapped drive.  It's definitely not a network issue because everything in my house is connected via hard wired gigabit Ethernet.  I measured disk read / write speeds to my network drive and it runs just as fast as a hard drive connected directly to the computer via SATA.

In conclusion, the JRiver software running on the server detected library changes VERY fast and always updated the library in a timely manner.  This is most likely because the video files are on the same computer as the server software.

Unfortunately I don't think this software is going to work for me.  It's not uncommon for us to add a new video file to the RAID and then play it back right away.  Having to jump through hoops every time the database changes is not going to work in our environment.  I tried VERY hard to make the software work in our operating environment but I just don't think it's going to work.  Thank you very much for your help.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:25:11 am »

Refreshing the client can be done by selecting Playing Now, expand 'Playing from [server]', select the server and click 'Sync changes with library server'.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 10:50:30 am »

Is the refresh procedure from InflatableMouse performed from the theater view (control-4) or from the normal view (control-1)? 

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 11:43:19 am »

Please disregard my last question.  I found "playing now" in the wiki and I see it is in the normal or "control-1" view.  Is there a way to execute this command from theater view?  Probably not but I'll ask the question anyway.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »

Yes.

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_windows_messages

This is what you are after: 20026 MCC_SYNC_LIBRARY

Tie "MC17.exe /MCC 20026, 0" to one of your remote buttons or add it as an "external program" in the theater view settings.

Enjoy.

paindoc

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 12:31:34 pm »

Bryanhoop can you explain specifically how to "Tie "MC17.exe /MCC 20026, 0" to one of your remote buttons or add it as an "external program" in the theater view settings".  I have the same setup as wewilli1 and I would love to be able to update my library from the remote by a simple press of a button on the remote.  Thanks!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 10:12:36 am »

Bryanhoop can you explain specifically how to "Tie "MC17.exe /MCC 20026, 0" to one of your remote buttons or add it as an "external program" in the theater view settings".  I have the same setup as wewilli1 and I would love to be able to update my library from the remote by a simple press of a button on the remote.  Thanks!

For the remote option:

Tools->Remote Control->Commands->Add 'Custom'

Name it "Sync Library" and choose 'Add Run'. In the executable filename, browse to "C:\Windows\System32\mc17.exe" and for command use "/MCC 20026, 0"

Then choose your button code or use the learned function to set it to whatever remote button you want.

For the theater view option:

Tools->Theater View->Add 'External Program'

Name it "Sync Library" and under program, use "C:\Windows\System32\mc17.exe" and for command line arguments use "/MCC 20026, 0"
Make sure to deselect "Hide MC while program is running".

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 10:33:47 pm »

Thank you very much for answering my question.  I will try it this weekend.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 08:43:30 am »

I added an update library command to theater view as described above and it worked perfect.  Note that the 20026 code refreshes the library when connected to a media server.  In my case, I am not using a media server so I used code 23020.  Code 23020 runs the same command as the pull down menu tools -> import -> run auto import now. 

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 08:54:32 pm »

Is there any way to prevent the annoying summary pop up window when the import is complete?

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 10:58:08 am »

I found that if I use the notify media import files added code then the update works and I don't get the annoying pop up window.  The following is the command I used:

MC17.exe /MCC 34087

This suggests that MC background update processing is event driven and for some reason MC software is not getting the event notification that media files are changing on the network share.  The server and HTPC are both running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit operating system software so I'm not sure why event notifications are not being delivered correctly.  Does anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening?
Pages: [1]   Go Up