INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Recorded Movies Appear Under 'Shows', Not 'Movies'  (Read 1839 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC Recorded Movies Appear Under 'Shows', Not 'Movies'
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:41:10 pm »

For the past six months we have been using SageTV to do all our TV Recording after trying MC TV recording for a while. Thought it might now be time to give MC TV recording another go.

Yesterday recorded some TV Shows and a couple of Movies. Recording went fine and I'm glad I can now record in .ts. But when we go to Theater View to look for the new Movies under 'Movies' they aren't there, they are listed under 'Shows'. And there is no Cover Art, only a screen grab.

Looking at the tags they are tagged as 'Show', not Movie. This is very odd. When we import movies recorded in SageTV they always end up listed under Movies and have full Cover Crt.

I suspect what is happening is this:

1. When we import a Sage Recorded Movie it's tagging is dealt with by Carnac. It sees that the duration is over one hour and makes the Media sub Type 'Movie'. It then gets appropriate Cover Art, and everything is wonderful in Theater View.

2. When the Movie is recorded in MC something in the recording engine tags it as a 'Show'. It never gets the full Carnac treatment. So in Theater View it is listed as a Show and has no Cover Art.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in my above interpretation.

So here is my question: If MC can import a TV recorded Movie and have it handled properly (at least it's properly to me), why can't it do the same thing for a Movie it records? And is this something that JRiver can change? We record a lot of movies and would find the present system not good. OR, have I just missed something obvious in Setup (Would be wonderful if that's the case!)?

To end on a positive note I need to mention that with MC now able to record .ts files from our HDPVR we can use Comskip on MC recordings. That's a big improvement - thanks!

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC Recorded Movies Appear Under 'Shows', Not 'Movies'
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »

With no answers, and just for logical Forum location I'm wondering if this should be in the TV part of the Forum? I put it here originally because it seemed more a function of Theater View Logic than just TV stuff.

I also just saw a thread called "Visibility of Recordings in Theater View" in the TV section of the Forum. My post above seems very related to that and I wonder if it should not be moved to that thread?

Or should it all just be left as is and if no responses I'll just bump it in a day or two?

Thanks,
Rod

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »

Obviously, Yaobing knows alot more about this then me and I don't know exactly when Carnac is applied, but I am quite confident that MC does not treat video that it records the same as video that it imports.  Any import rules are not applied to recordings, so it is possible that Carnac is not applied has well.  I know that we get cover art for recordings, but I am not sure that much else is done.

Alex

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 07:10:22 pm »

Obviously, Yaobing knows alot more about this then me and I don't know exactly when Carnac is applied, but I am quite confident that MC does not treat video that it records the same as video that it imports.  Any import rules are not applied to recordings, so it is possible that Carnac is not applied has well.  I know that we get cover art for recordings, but I am not sure that much else is done.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the response. Are you getting actual Cover Art? All I get is a Screen Shot. Sometimes it pertains to the program, and sometimes it grabs a commercial or something equally irrelevant.

I really don't think Carnac is applied.

Rod

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:00:11 pm »

Yes, for most shows I do get cover art automatically for everything that has cover art.  It has been a while, but I don't think I had to set anything up, MC should just do it.

Alex

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:13 pm »

I really don't think Carnac is applied.

Me neither.

I have a similar problem with movies recorded using my PVR software (not SAGE) and auto imported via MC. In my case, MC imports and tags the MPG files as per the sidecar. So, MC knows the file is a movie (and tags it as such) however it will not download any metadata OR coverart despite the fact I have the option enabled in the auto import dialog. If I manually do a "lookup movie & TV info" on the file, it updates perfectly.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up