INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this still beta?  (Read 2990 times)

walkman666

• Recent member
Is this still beta?
« on: October 13, 2012, 02:09:37 pm »

Uh-er, is this still beta, or are we using a stable version?  I bought the upgrade to JR18 in August, and have not moved from 17.0.186.  When I check to see if there are any updates to install, the msg I get is that JR 17.0.186 is up to date.  Thanks.

psam

• World Citizen
Is this still beta?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:36:50 am »

Uh-er, is this still beta, or are we using a stable version?  I bought the upgrade to JR18 in August, and have not moved from 17.0.186.  When I check to see if there are any updates to install, the msg I get is that JR 17.0.186 is up to date.  Thanks.
Better stay with 17. I 've rolled back to 17 myself....

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is this still beta?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:58:05 am »

Formally, 18 is still beta. And if JRiver develop their product as usual, it will be for another few months. I guess you will get two answers for your question. Psam gave you one of them, where returning to 17 was - for some reason - desirable. I swithced to 18 once it was available and have not looked back. Not one crash, and all the functionality I use is working perfectly.

Off topic: Honestly, maybe because I do not use it for TV, I have not noticed any change at all from 17 to 18 even if I know big things have happened under the hood. But if 18 develops similar as 16 and 17, I am almost jumping up and down in anticipation of what's to come. I will continue my support and buy future versions, no question about that!

DMHolman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:21:21 am »

Yeah, I think you can still call it beta.  I never uninstalled v17 when I went up to 18, but I haven't gone back to it.  I've had 1 crash and 1 lockup and that's about it.  I don't see any reason to go back to 17 at this point. 

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 02:23:16 am »

I guess there's beta and there's beta. I have run some beta applications that are virtually useless. Fortunately, this has not been the case with either JRMC17 or JRMC18.

I only use the software for audio replay but I didn't have problems when I changed from 16 to 17 and I haven't had any problems with 18 so far

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:38:24 pm »

So what's the general vibe from the crew on v18 from an "audio" only perspective?

I too bought my v18 license on the day it became available but have 17.0.186 firmly planted on all machines and have given little thought to move forward at this time.  

While I check the forums daily - especially the v18 board - I suppose when I see the word "crash" appearing seemingly within every third or 4th thread - I am understandably a bit gun-shy to introduce v18 into the mix just cause "it's there" and possibly upset what has been a joyful, very stable environment for the last 6 months or so.

Also for the first time ever in my 5 years of MC usage - I am questioning whether I actually "need" anything more than what I already have. I seriously have zero complaints and zero additional requirements as v17 has provided nothing but the very best audio experience I have ever had.

Appreciate any view from the field.

Cheers,

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:01:08 pm »

While I check the forums daily - especially the v18 board - I suppose when I see the word "crash" appearing seemingly within every third or 4th thread ...
I count 4 crash reports in about 75 threads on the first page of this board.  At least one of those has been fixed. 

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 01:36:36 pm »

I count 4 crash reports in about 75 threads on the first page of this board.  At least one of those has been fixed.  

Apologies Jim - did not realize that "crash" was too tender a word today. How about these - all from the first page as of this writing:

Just can't get...
Problem (lots)...
Bug...
Does Not work...
Loses focus
Inconsistencies
Seems to be broken...
Lost ability...
Breaks subtitles...
Does not display...
Not working anymore...

In short - please do not get your back up about the "beta-ness" of v18 - as always I am supremely confident in your ability to smooth it all out in time.

I am merely stating a fact (as I read it) that this negative "chatter" is not really making me feel like it's the right time to join the v18 party (yet)...ya know?

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

MC18 is an extension of MC17 and has only a few more problems than usual, mostly because of the internal changes needed for porting.  I would not yet call it stable, but it is certainly very usable.

Not all problem reports are MC problems.  Some are, in fact, user settings issues, for example.  Firewall issues, etc.

And if you're going to express an opinion, why don't you try it first?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »

I would not yet call it stable, but it is certainly very usable.

Thanks for the update :) That's all I needed to know.

VP

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 06:13:04 pm »

I switched several weeks back and like an earlier poster said I have never looked back.  I run 80% APE audio, 15%+ DVD and 5%- blu-ray.  No problems, no glitches, no crashes.  Just runs.

Ahhhh, heaven.  (long time customer...maybe v10 or so)

FastKayak / Larry   

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 02:39:35 am »

Just can't get...
Problem (lots)...
Bug...
Does Not work...
Loses focus
Inconsistencies
Seems to be broken...
Lost ability...
Breaks subtitles...
Does not display...
Not working anymore...

In short - please do not get your back up about the "beta-ness" of v18 - as always I am supremely confident in your ability to smooth it all out in time.

I am merely stating a fact (as I read it) that this negative "chatter" is not really making me feel like it's the right time to join the v18 party (yet)...ya know?

This can just as well be issues from earlier versions that have not been fixed yet. If you look at the the MC17 forum, you would probably find many of the same type of threads, since most new threads  are in fact started because of something not being as expected. I would recommend the same as Jim, test it yourself to get a qualified opinion. There's no harm done installing a new version as both can be installed in parallel.

Pages: [1]   Go Up