INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone explain why Audio has ReplayGain/Analyse Audio and Video doesn't?  (Read 15012 times)

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck

I know it's an older post where J River has explained why videos get the option of "Normalise volume" instead of the usual ReplayGain method but when I did a keyword search for normalise it doesn't appear.

Just to be sure, "normalise volume" changes things "on the fly" but ReplayGain goes through the entire file before coming to a conclusion right?

So in a sense, isn't ReplayGain superior to "normalise volume"?
I am quite happy to let the server plug away at 30000 video files at its own time during 2am-5am so I understand that there must be a technical reason why a similar option isn't available for videos.

Am I missing something really simple here?

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

I know it's an older post where J River has explained why videos get the option of "Normalise volume" instead of the usual ReplayGain method but when I did a keyword search for normalise it doesn't appear.

Just to be sure, "normalise volume" changes things "on the fly" but ReplayGain goes through the entire file before coming to a conclusion right?

So in a sense, isn't ReplayGain superior to "normalise volume"?
I am quite happy to let the server plug away at 30000 video files at its own time during 2am-5am so I understand that there must be a technical reason why a similar option isn't available for videos.

Am I missing something really simple here?

Normalize is quite a bit different from ReplayGain and I would consider caution before "normalizing" anything. Normalizing (at least in recording) is generally a "destructive" process - that has the software look for the highest peak value in a track or file and raises the rest of the file up in relation to that specific point.

In the case of DVD audio or video - this could be very destructive as it could take the audio track to a typical drama - suss out the loudest point in the film and then raise up the rest of the movie making quiet parts (that were that way by design) to sound strangely louder than they should be. Think of the background in a city scene that was supposed to be in the background - now being way too loud and become very obvious in the foreground.

Replay Gain on the other hand is non-destructive as it's just a value written to the file. If the playback software supports this value - the overall volume of the track is adjusted to fit nicely with the rest of tracks in a playlist or a whole album side. The actual physical file is not changed - just a tag added.

Lastly - if you are talking actual Hollywood or TV productions when you say "videos"...please know that the movie/TV industry has adopted many rigid standards for the actual audio portion of their products and the volume as delivered has been properly calibrated and should sound perfect in all situations. You shouldn't really ever have to muss with normalizing anything when it comes to movies or TV shows that had a retail delivery method. Homegrown video is another story.

As is actual retail music. The music industry has no standards whatsoever and outside of a small group of engineers and artists who actually understand how to make a good sounding dynamic album - most of today's retail releases are a complete disaster when it comes to loudness and levels.

VP

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks VocalPoint,

I see. So audio media lacks the industry standards the video industry has strictly defined and ReplayGain was created to plug that weakness.

Any professionally created video shouldn't need ReplayGain...it will "undo" whatever the studio mixer wanted in the first place since they are all calibrated to a reference sound level.

The only time we need to "Normalise" audio for videos is perhaps only for personal video recordings or when watching late at night. Most home equipment such as TVs/AVRs call it "Night Mode".

Vocalpoint

I see. So audio media lacks the industry standards the video industry has strictly defined and ReplayGain was created to plug that weakness.

Not sure why Replay Gain was created - definitely nothing to do directly with the audio industry and the loudness wars - more of a helper for the home user. I love it and have RG on all one of my 30000+ tracks...

Any professionally created video shouldn't need ReplayGain...it will "undo" whatever the studio mixer wanted in the first place since they are all calibrated to a reference sound level.

More like probably "ruin" what the producers had in mind. Movie audio is produced with much more care than your typical audio cd production.

The only time we need to "Normalise" audio for videos is perhaps only for personal video recordings or when watching late at night. Most home equipment such as TVs/AVRs call it "Night Mode".

That's your call. Unless you are turning your home movies into something for a wider audience - I wouldn't bother with normalizing anything - since you are forever altering the actual audio...

VP

AltonHall

I've been wondering why Media Center doesn't allow replay gain setting for video files as well. When I watch a movie, I like to use a smartlist that plays a couple of random trailers before the movie starts. Some of these trailers are .mov downloads from Apple, and these tend to have volume levels close to 20dB louder than the movie, which is extremely annoying to have to always manually adjust for.

Having an Analyze Audio feature for video would be an ideal solution, but I'd settle for being able to make some kind of global adjustment to volume for .mov files only. Has anybody else come up with a good solution for this?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

I've been wondering why Media Center doesn't allow replay gain setting for video files as well. When I watch a movie, I like to use a smartlist that plays a couple of random trailers before the movie starts. Some of these trailers are .mov downloads from Apple, and these tend to have volume levels close to 20dB louder than the movie, which is extremely annoying to have to always manually adjust for.

Having an Analyze Audio feature for video would be an ideal solution, but I'd settle for being able to make some kind of global adjustment to volume for .mov files only. Has anybody else come up with a good solution for this?

You might try "normalize volume" in the video playback options.
Pages: [1]   Go Up