INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fill In IMDB Tag From Filename  (Read 2601 times)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Fill In IMDB Tag From Filename
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:44:40 am »

Hi, I am having problems importing some of my movies and would like some assistance please. I have searched the wiki and the forums but cannot find answers to my specific questions.

I have a folder in which I have movies in AVI & mpg format which are recorded from my satellite box. The filenames all consist of the movie name followed by the IMDB number. They were named this way when I used other htpc software (xbmc & MeediOS) so that they would populate the imdb tag in the library and then import all the relevant information. This was to elliminate false movie identification or failing to find the movie at all as it wasn't relying on just the movie name any more.

e.g.

Get Carter_tt0067128.mpg
Lemony Snickets A Series Of Unfortunate Events_tt0339291.mpg
Lethal Weapon 4_tt0122151.mpg
You've Got Mail_tt0128853.avi

etc, etc, etc

Anyway, now I am using MC, when I import this folder nothing is populated in the library as it doesn't recognise the movie name because of the imdb number attached to it. Is there any way to get the importer to use the imdb number in the filename to populate the imdb tag or, failing that, get it to ignore the imdb number and just recognise the movie name.

Many thanks

Russell

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Fill In IMDB Tag From Filename
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:55:20 am »

Right I've sort of answered my own question now.

I found the 'Fill Properties From Filename' tool and set a template of '_ [IMDb ID]' which did exactly as I wanted. Unfortunately this didn't actually help me in the long run as I was expecting to then be able to do a 'Get Movie & TV Info' and it would use the IMDb number to pull the correct information. Unfortunately this was not the case and upon searching the forum I found that this is because there is no IMDb api in MC as it is a commercial product and would require licensing.

So, I have now gone to my second option and used the same procedure to get the movie name using a template of '[Name] _ [IMDb ID]'.

This is now populating the movie name correctly and then I can do the 'Get Movie & TV Info' and it imports the data fine. Not quite how I intended it to work but it's fine.

What I would now like to know is if there is a way to automate it so that the 'Fill Properties From Filename' template is run when doing an auto import.

Thanks

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:18:41 am »

Hi Russell,

You can setup auto-import rules, one rule per field that you want filled.  It looks like for a given media type, or perhaps folder tree, you want [Name] and [IMDb ID].  It might be as simple as using an expression function such as ListItem() to grab each component, or you might need to use Regex() to do the job should your [Name] titles contain an underscore.

Ask if you need help w/this.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:18:30 am »

Hi Russell,

You can setup auto-import rules, one rule per field that you want filled.  It looks like for a given media type, or perhaps folder tree, you want [Name] and [IMDb ID].  It might be as simple as using an expression function such as ListItem() to grab each component, or you might need to use Regex() to do the job should your [Name] titles contain an underscore.

Ask if you need help w/this.

Thanks MrC.

It's good to know that the facility exists for using more complex import rules should the need arise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up