INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 Sync Issues with Samsung Galaxy S3  (Read 12363 times)

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
MC17 Sync Issues with Samsung Galaxy S3
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:08:32 am »

I'm a long time MC fan who bought an iPhone 4 a couple years ago and had to give up MC to iTunes.  iTunes and Apple pissed me off enough that I bought a Samsung S3.  Just to spite the Apple guys, I also bought a 32GB micro sd and slide into the S3 (take that you friggin' Apple "Geniuses").

With that out of the way; I'm having problems syncing a play list with my S3.  My music collection consists of all .ape files so I have my conversion options set to always convert to MP3 format.

Initially, everything worked brilliantly.  I dragged approx 5200 tracks into the MC playlist I'm using to sync with the S3.  It took a couple of overnight sync sessions go get everything converted.  When I got up this morning and checked MC, the sync had completed and MC reported that I had over 9GB remaining.  A couple of the tracks had status' listed as "Pending" (or some such, I don't exactly recall).  So I clicked the "Sync Now" button and MC crashed.  I restarted it and noticed the status on a couple of hundred tracks changed to "In Queue".  Clicking the "Sync Now" button resulted in a message box indicating I was over capacity by several GBs.  Windows Explorer reports I have 9.15GB of free space on the card. 

I restarted MC and it appears that each time I restart it, more and more tracks have their status changed from "On Device" to "In Queue".  MC is now reporting that I'm 12.7GB over capacity while Windows Explorer is still reporting that I have 9.15GB of free space.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks -- Steve

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC17 Sync Issues with Samsung Galaxy S3
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:14:54 pm »

Post a screenshot of your portable options settings.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: MC17 Sync Issues with Samsung Galaxy S3
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:26 am »

i think the capacity may be based on larger original files. never understood why mc doesn't make a better guess. i always ignore this message.
can't speak to the Que problem.

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:41:56 am »

Post a screenshot of your portable options settings.

Handheld options images attached.

Thanks--Steve

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
Re: Re: MC17 Sync Issues with Samsung Galaxy S3
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:47:18 am »

i think the capacity may be based on larger original files. never understood why mc doesn't make a better guess. i always ignore this message.
can't speak to the Que problem.

I'm not sure where MC is pulling the file fizes and capacity from but I don't thinkk it's the original file size.  The original files are Monkey's Audio (.ape) files and the playlist I'm syncing has a total size of 120GB.  Sinze MC does the conversion on the fly I'm assuming it's guessing what the converted size might be.

Steve

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:01:15 am »

Check that second box for "delete from handheld...not in sync list"

My files are in flac.  I have it set to ALWAYS convert to small portable.
I also believe it's estimating on transcoded filesize and is usually pretty close in my case.

If you had a borked sync prior, I would suggest using windows explorer and delete everything off the phone in the sync location and let it start fresh.
I currently sync about 5400 songs onto my S3 with no issues.
Note I am also using version 18 of MC.  There may have been enhancements done in the sync area since version 17.

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:34:53 pm »

I finally upgraded to MC18 and the problem is identical; everytime I sync, MC attempts to transfer all of the items in my sync playlist to the S3's SD Card.  It's like it has no clue that the songs are already on the device.

Something interesting to note: I opened the "Music" folder on the SD Card in Windows Explorer and found that there's a .mp3.dup0 file for each track real MP3 file in each album folder.  

So, "Radiohead - Hunting Bears.mp3" has a "Radiohead - Hunting Bears.mp3.dup0" doppelgänger

The file size of the *.dup0 is the same as it's matching MP3 file.

I would be great if someone from JRiver would chime in here.  I'd be happy to provide any info, testing , etc. to help get this resolved.

Thanks -- Steve

[EDIT] Added a screen snip of the album folder file list with .MP3 and .dup0 files

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »

I had the .dup0 files happen once.  I think it could be a bug in the MTP protocol.
Articles I read indicate that MTP drivers aren't always perfect.
I ended up updating the drivers for my android phone, then delete the \playlist and \music folders completely off of the sdcard.
Also delete jrinfo.xml and jrstate.xml from the root of the sdcard.
Then go into MC, Tools > Options > Handheld > Redetect all devices.
This gives you a clean slate.

Help > Logging > enable

Sync to device.

Disconnect device.

Sync again.

Produce log if tries to sync everything.
Log screen gives you button to email the log.

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 06:56:55 pm »

zxsix,

Thanks for the tips.  Checking now...

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up