INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for MC 18 Users - is it time to switch from 17 to 18?  (Read 1893 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Question for MC 18 Users - is it time to switch from 17 to 18?
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:11:02 pm »

I have paid upgrade to MC18 - but I want to know if it worth the trouble/risk to upgrade at this time. Or should I wait until buit .100+?
I use MC mainly for Movie watching (DVD and Blu-ray rips). I'm not too interested in Audio capabilities right now. I'm reading the posts on both forums but most postings seem more related to Audio side issues or requests.

I read through the "New MC18 features" but other than the viewing "Live TV from my TV Card installed on Server on the Clients" I don't see much in the way of upgrades or improvements on the Video side over MC17.

What do you all think? Has anyone upgraded to MC18 and found it to be an improvement over 17?

justsomeguy

Re: Question for MC 18 Users - is it time to switch from 17 to 18?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:00:31 pm »

I still have issues with MC18 in a client server setup that has kept me on 17 for now.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 09:35:32 pm »

I've now shifted full time to 18. There were a number of issues with it, but only when MC17 was installed too. After removing MC17, things are going quite well in MC18. However, if youare expecting to get lots of new feature in MC18 right away, I'm not sure you'll find a huge improvement.

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:53:12 pm »

I still have issues with MC18 in a client server setup that has kept me on 17 for now.

Same here...
Running my previous client  - server setup is a real pain with MC18.

Otherwise, MC18 is fine running standalone I guess.....

kimdh08

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:10:39 am »

Same here...
Running my previous client  - server setup is a real pain with MC18.

Otherwise, MC18 is fine running standalone I guess.....

I have same problems with viewing movie on Client/Server configuration.
Seeking does not work well, displaying playtime is not correct...
Of course MC18 has no problems seeking movie in standalone.
I hope it will be fixed as soon as possible...

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:30:42 am »

So far it looks like 18 is not really doing/adding anything for the end-user. There are a couple of new addtions (radio buttons, etc.) but nothing worth becoming an "early implementer" at this time. At least not in my opinion.
I hope MC18 eventually adds in some of the simple tweaks we asked for in MC17 - such as a clock (time of day) on the TV guide screen and to have TV guide automatically advance to correct time grid when you return to guide after viewing TV.

Thanks for your feedback.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:56:57 am »

I agree with CountryBumkin's assessment, except I have gone to MC18, and frankly have not really noticed that it isn't v17.  Apart from the compression option in Gizmo, I haven't used/noticed a change.  Stability is pretty much the same as v17 for me.

MM_switcher

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:50:00 am »

After trying MC18 for some weeks I switched back to 17.  ::)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 09:08:47 am »

I just switched to MC18 on all my systems at home.

I am using a Client/Server setup (the HTPC connects to the server running on my desktop in the basement).  It is working perfectly fine, including seeking video files (of course).  MC18 is substantially more responsive in normal everyday operation.  I really like the new OSD, and a few of the other new tweaks (the "midnight mode" is a lifesaver for my desktop PC).

I've seen a few weird UI bugs, but nothing serious.  Nothing that would even come close to making me consider switching back.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:35:34 am »

So far it looks like 18 is not really doing/adding anything for the end-user. There are a couple of new addtions (radio buttons, etc.) but nothing worth becoming an "early implementer" at this time. At least not in my opinion.

Thanks for this assessment. If there is no real immediate tangible benefit to moving forward on 18 - I am content to stay right where I am on v17. Probably going to take the "If it ain't broke" road at this point....

Cheers,

VP

Pages: [1]   Go Up