INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library problem with entries that end with a '.'  (Read 588 times)

Gatobrit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
Library problem with entries that end with a '.'
« on: April 19, 2002, 07:16:28 am »

Hi - I posted this a while back (way back) but I notice it is still with us in the latest MJ8 beta.

I have my library organized in directories by artist / album.

I have an artists that end in a '.' (i.e. Grover Washington Jr." or "E.L.O." or "R.E.M." etc.). I also have albums that end in a '.' too (i.e. "Made in the U.S.A." etc.).

What I notice is that with periods at the end of the name MJ will duplicate the entries in the library if I import media while scanning the whole library. I end up with ---->

c:\music\Beach Boys\Made in the U.S.A.\Beach Boys - Made in the U.S.A. - Don't Worry Baby.mp3

and...

c:\music\Beach Boys\Made in the U.S.A\Beach Boys - Made in the U.S.A. - Don't Worry Baby.mp3

As you can see both entries will play the same file. If I check the directory on the drive the actual name of the directory obviously doesn't end with a '.'.

If I delete the library entry with the period and then scan the whole library again another entry will show up duplicating the first one.

The only fix I've found for this is to remove the trailing "." on the artist and/or album

It's a long standing problem that I'm assuming effects others (maybe unnoticed) but I think MJ should resolve it.

A copy of my library etc. is available...
Namaste,
John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Library problem with entries that end with a '.'
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2002, 08:09:38 pm »

Thanks Gatobrit.

We'll take a look.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center