INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: media server operation  (Read 1649 times)

mountainman

media server operation
« on: April 18, 2002, 08:36:12 pm »

I have been happily using MJ 7.2 and reading comments about operation of the media server in version 8 betas.  Media server questions:

1) Do you run MJ on the client machine to access the media server or a browser or what?

2) Can a client machine select an audio playback that is completely independent of the the audio playback on the server machine?

3) Can a client machine select audio playback that is synchronized with the server machine?

Just like many of you, I would like to do both #2 and #3 in my house from various computers.  Using version 7.2, it appears that I can sorta achieve #2 by designating one of my computers as my "master" machine, sharing the files on that machine, installing MJ on other machines, using the identical network drive letter on all machines with identical directory paths (I am using Windows 2000), and then copying the *.jmd files from my "master" machine to my non-master machines whenever I change playlists, add media, etc.  Of course, it would be ideal if MJ shared the playlists, allowed updates to the "master" playlists from any machine, etc, so I wouldn't have to manually keep the non-master machines updated.

I have all of my albums stored in uncompressed format (wav) with a RAID setup and MJ running the show.  It is so sweet.  The music collection has finally been unleashed thanks to some excellent software.

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
RE:media server operation
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2002, 05:10:37 am »

This is how it works with the current Music01 "private" server... If I understand correctly it should remain the same in the upcoming update, except a name change an the possibility to have up to 3 clients connected (now it is only 1)

1] you run MJ on the client . On the server you have the media server running (MJ does not have to run for this to work). You can have the media server fired up automatically on startup or do it manually when you need it .

2] yes, the client sees the full library. The server and client are completely independent

3] I don't think so, but I've never tried to do it so I'm not 100% sure

Claudio

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2002, 05:35:08 am »

Claudio has it right.  On your third question, the answer is no, there is no synchronization.  Just to clarify, both machines can be playing different songs from the same library.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

RxMan

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2002, 05:35:27 am »

I need a little help. I know things are about to change with new versions, but, I would still like to try Music01 with version 7. When I open it I get music01 ID and password do not match. What is the problem? By the way, I saw a post by JimH saying the new version would allow 3 connections and not use the ID and password function.
Can I run MJ8 and connect to the music server??

THANKS!

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2002, 06:12:50 am »

>>I need a little help. I know things are about to change with new versions, but, I would still like to try Music01 with >>version 7. When I open it I get music01 ID and password do not match. What is the problem? By the way, I saw a post by >>JohnH saying the new version would allow 3 connections and not use the ID and password function.
>>Can I run MJ8 and connect to the music server??

I am going to give this a try and someone can correct me where I may be incorrect.  What you know as Music01, has been shut down, as it was a trial feature that J River has determined is not feasible at this time.  I believe it has been disabled.  Well the part where you need an id and password, since there is no more server to connect to, so that other users can stream your music files.  I beleive the a variation of the Music01 feature is back in one of the latest beta's, I am not sure which one, since I am a couple of versions back due to some Mega Skins issues.  This variation will allow you to connect to a "server" within your network, so you can share one library, but only up to 3 users, which has been determined by J River to be a reasonable number.  For more on that, there is another active thread regarding this same topic where JimH explains the logic.  So, you would have to be on one of the latest versions, to be able to use this feature, keeping in mind that it is still in beta format and subject to change.

RxMan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2002, 06:26:33 am »

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded MJ8 (the latest version 8.0.253) last night on my home PC. I successfully installed and opened it. However, I didn't find any 'server type' software bundled with it. I am sure I am just missing something. I am at work now and using a laptop that has MJ7 on it. Is this new server software included with the most recent release?

JimH

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2002, 06:27:53 am »

Tools/Media Server.

You will need the same version on both machines.
Jim Hillegass

RxMan

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2002, 06:31:43 am »

I found it the answer. It's amazing what can be found in the manual!!

Rxman

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2002, 06:33:56 am »

JimH

Thanks. You can delete this post and the last one. I assumed (wrongly) that it was a separate file and not actually part of MJ.

mountainman

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2002, 07:14:13 am »

Thanks for the information.  With version 7.2 and Music01 in private mode, the software must first connect to the JRiver server to get the client connected to your own server (well, until Music01 was dismantled).  When version 8.x arrives, will connecting to the music server in my house require any internet connection to a JRiver machine (or anybody else) to get the client/server link established?  I would like to avoid any internet connection as I can't control that network...

JimH

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2002, 07:19:56 am »

No internet connection will be required with 8.0.
Jim Hillegass

Raymond

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2002, 07:22:33 am »

The new Media Server from MJ 8 will not attempt any connection to JRiver server. You can even use it without any Internet connections.

Ray

RxMan

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2002, 08:56:11 am »

OK. I finally got a chance to install MJ8 on my laptop. I am now running 8.0.253 on both my home computer and my laptop. Can I connect via the internet or is this not possible anymore? I started media server on the home pc and tried to connect with the laptop using the home pc's ip address given by media server. I got connection failed.

Thanks for any Advice.

Raymond

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2002, 10:18:11 am »

You could connect via Internet, remember both your home pc and your labtop must be connected to the Internet. Also you must make sure your home pc is not behind a proxy or firewall. Check out http://www.music01.com/faq.html and see if the page helps.

Ray

mountainman

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2002, 10:48:23 am »

That is quite excellent on not requiring an internet connection to operate the server.  Version 8 will rock.  It appears that the MJ copy running on the server machine can provide 1 audio output while the server will provide 3 more via the network for a grand total of 4 independent music outputs.  That will do the trick for my house and allow listening from work.  Correct me if I am wrong on the counting.

I am jumping up and down with excitement about version 8!  Keep up the good work.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2002, 12:50:36 pm »

Wanted to report that Music Server works really well over VPN - I have my desktop at work with the library and my laptop at home over DSL - sounds really good and it's all encrypted too.
Namaste,
John

mountainman

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2002, 01:03:56 pm »

Which OS are you using at home and work?  What software/hardware for the VPN?  That's what I want to do, too.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2002, 01:30:17 pm »

Hi - W2K at work on the desktop and WXP on the laptop. The VPN software my company runs is from Check Point and it's called Firewall-1 / SecuRemote. Works very well.

At home I have DSL with a Linksys firewall / router protecting the internal network.

I will try the connection the other way around next week by leaving my laptop at home and playing at work.
Namaste,
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up