INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Matters  (Read 6660 times)

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
RE:What Matters
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2002, 04:36:05 pm »

Since wickedness is by definition the failure to adhere to religious principles, we would obviously be less wicked without religion.  Same behavior, but it would no longer be regarded as wicked.  (Sorry Ben)

Yes, spaghetti can be eaten gracefully.  Here's how the Italians do it:

1.  Serve it properly--in rimmed soup bowls, not on a flat dinner plate.

2.  Make a workspace in the bowl.  Push the spaghetti from one side of the bowl toward the middle.

3.  With a fork separate a few strands (no more than 5 or 6; two or three for beginners) into the work space and lift them above the bowl with a fork so that the strands hang down on either side of the fork.  Beginners can shake them gently to get them to hang fairly straight.  

4.  Lower the strands back into the work space   With the tines held gently against the side of the bowl, twirl the spaghetti around the fork.  Righthanders twirl clockwise, lefties counterclockwise (so the sauce spatters away from you)

5.  With a little practice you will be able to twirl the pasta so that any loose ends hang down no more than an inch from the fork.

6.  Place neatly in the mouth and savor.

NOTE:  Many Italian Americans use a large spoon as a base for the fork when they twirl.  This is considered very low class in Italy.  Since the vast majority of Italian Immigrants to this country were from the lower classes, this is the way they ate pasta.  Let your egalitarian sentiments be your guide for general practice, but learn the fork-only method so that you are prepared for that fancy restaurant in Rome.

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2002, 05:46:21 pm »

I'm going back to the original post but, before I do, I have to say that "Since wickedness is by definition the failure to adhere to religious principles, we would obviously be less wicked without religion. Same behavior, but it would no longer be regarded as wicked. (Sorry Ben)" is an amazingly pragmatic insight. I think Ben would have been impressed. He was a Unitarian, you know.

The wren in my truck grill hatched four wrenlets and they finally flew the coop today. That's ten days from eggs to flying. I get my truck back. Since I took the opportunity to gut the interior, I'll have to wait until I get the seat recovered and put it back in ... after I put the new carpet in and beef up the subwoofers behind where the seat will go ... and install the AIWA MP3 player that I haven't bought yet ... I guess I have a wren vacancy. Ain't life grand?

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

sekim

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2002, 06:23:26 pm »

CVIII,

Life ain't so grand for the wrens and other bug eaters around here right now. Snow and cold puts a damper on bug activity like a slammed door. We are fortunate enough to have Eastern Bluebirds in this area, they even nest in some of the houses I've made. Last night, a male bumped into our living room window. Not enough to hurt himself, but as he sat on the ledge for a second looking in, I couldn't help but wonder what his intentions were. He sure looked like he would rather be inside facing the cat rather than the cold.

The in-laws said they had a hummingbird already. I hope that little bugger can stand more then a few hours of this weather. Nature can be a cruel bastard sometimes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up