INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trial version; is this right?  (Read 1377 times)

JanVigne

• Recent member
Trial version; is this right?
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:35:55 pm »

I can't think of a better media player for my needs - though all I really need is the audio portion of the player. 

I've not seen anything existing in the forum which covers this topic so I'll give it a shot.  I've ripped a few dozen CD's directly from an external CD/DVD drive to a portable hard drive conencted via USB 2.0.  I am not certain, but I would expect the CD drive to be new enough to also have 2.0 USB output. 

In playback mode, after I've selected an album for play, I see the files come up for that specific CD.  At the top of the list is an information bar which includes; name, artist, album, genre, etc.  Also in that bar is "bit (rate?)".  Every CD I've ripped from the CD to the external hard drive (and one I've placed on the internal drive of the netbook) indicates "1411" as the "bit" rate.  The file is listed as "wav" which was my intention when I set up the rip.  Moving my cursor over the bit rate indication for the file gives me a box which tells me the file exists as 1411kbps.   

My question, is "1411" the correct bit rate from wav files ripped directly from a CD drive?  I must be misunderstanding something as I would have expected the bit rate for CD wav files to be more like "1611".

If this is an incorrectly ripped bit rate, how do I change the settings on future rips?  And, is there any way to convert the existing files without loosing data as it existed on the CD?  Or, is the data now gone and I need to start over from scratch? 

Have I mentioned I am all in favor of least significant bits?   

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Trial version; is this right?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:41:50 pm »

What you're seeing is normal.

Here's the math:
16 bit * 44,100 Hz * 2 channel = 1411200 bits per second = 1411 kbps
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JanVigne

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »

Thank you.

Next question; I have a DAC that handles 24 bit files up to 96kHz from USB out.  The DAC is a Peachtree iDAC with a MF V-Link II in front of it so the actual data feed is to the Coax 2 S/Pdif input which is capable of higher resolution data streams.  I understand the V Link II is the limiting item in any higher data rates.   

(The surprising result is, IMO, very nice music quality with nice pacing and timing, timbre and tone to write about, slightly soft in image focus [more like what I actually perceive at a live performance but probably not ideal for close mic'd, isolation boothed, 168+ channel mixer "imaging" freaks] but very easy to listen to for hours.  An 18 year old single malt.  The combination is a solid improvement over my stand alone Rega Apollo CDP with improved "audiophile wanna have" qualites all around - and, did I mention? - very, very musical IMO.  Artist communication and nuance are top notch.  Blues with players soloing call and response style in the I chord and another in the IV are terrific insights into the structure of the performance.  The V Link II is worth the relatively small cost and finishes the job the iDAc started by putting "meat on the bones" as they say.) 

This is my first try at computer based audio playback as I've not been convinced most systems have actually improved through the use of a computer and DAC.  JRiver and the Peahctree have changed my mind about where the future of high end audio will move.  I'll not give up my turntable and tube amps though.

I guess I'm not catching on to how the media player operates.  Do I need to set the output in playback to 24 bit at some point to accommodate the iDAC?  I assume I do not want to store 24 bit files (taken from those same CD's and upsampled/converted) on the external hard drive for purposes of space.  Am I right the player can do this change in sampling rate on the fly during playback? 

If I then have the player outputting 24 bit data, would I also need to go into the settings for Windows 7 (64  bit) to get it to pass that higher sampling rate data to the iDAC? 

Or, do I have this all foobar'd (no pun)?       

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 06:03:47 pm »

Here's a short answer (due to trick-or-treating) that might help a bit:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

And an explanation of bitdepth:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up