INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: grouping  (Read 1623 times)

mstulken

• Recent member
grouping
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:24 pm »

As a newbie, I'm sure this is coved, but I'm having problems with track grouping. I burned a 2 cd set of Haydn Symphonies today and it manifests itself as one album cover in J river with multiple versions of the same track number. I try grouping by name and I'm parially succesful to get the symphonies in the right group, but when I try to group the track numbers within each symphony they don't go into numeric order. I'm trying to achieve this by hoving my cursor above the heading on the file section of the program and right clicking to get the option. I would have thought the program should automatically adjust the track #'s when I group by name. Is there something else I can do. It doesn't let me move individual files by cutting and pasting, and I tried the same in the Window's media player source files (VLC Media files).

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: grouping
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:59:16 pm »

Howdy,

Track # is based on the sequence of the track on the album, and is not affected by grouping.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're trying to accomplish.  Can you clarify?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mstulken

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:12:45 am »

Hi. Let's use an example. When I open the album file symphony No88 has 4 movements. The 4th and final movement is in the second position in the file window. I try to drag and move it and it doesn't work. I try to cut and paste it into the right order - no go. I dont want to listen to a piece of music in the wrong order. If I regroup by track # there are two track 1's (Symphony 88 and 92) next to each other. When I re-group by name the symphonies are clustered into the right groups (ie all Symphony 88 movements) are next to each other, but not in the right track order.
I saw that someone else a couple of weeks ago tried to drag and move stuff around, but couldn't be done. Are there some steps to do this easily?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:15:41 am »

Gotcha.

You'll want to group by Disc # and then by Track #.  Add Disc # tags appropriately.

The Default sort for the default grouping should already handle this.  You'll see the Album under one group, sorted by Disc #, and then Track #.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:20:36 am »

See the attached image as an example.  The (D-T) you see as a column header is my own expression column that is a combination of Disc # - Track # (just to make the column less wide).

mstulken

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:25:36 am »

Great,I'll try that. Thanks for the quick reply. Most likely give it a try tomorrow AM as my music system's shut down for the night.

mstulken

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 01:50:32 pm »

Hi again. Your suggestion worked well... I added disc # to the file section as a heading and am now able to sort the tracks in their numeric order by disc. It solved the problem temporarily. When I close the file and reopen the grouping reverts back to its non-sequential order. This is solved again by re-ordering the tracks by number. Is there a way of saving the way I want it to stay so that I don't have to remember to re-order again each time I want to play a file? The source location seems to be the problem as its following this each time I re-open the album.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 01:56:35 pm »

Try setting (via the view's Tab) the view's Group By to Default, and Sort inside groups by to (Default).

mstulken

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 02:30:52 pm »

Hi Thanks again. Couldn't find the views tab you are referring to. The top line File, Edit, Views controls didn't give me the options you are referring to when I hit Views, but I right clicked in the file section of the page and there I found a Group By - Default option that seems to have fixed my issue.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 07:19:03 pm »

Great!

See attached image for where to configure view options in a view's tab.
Pages: [1]   Go Up