INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom fields don't copy when ripping (8.0.247)  (Read 1376 times)

koreth

Custom fields don't copy when ripping (8.0.247)
« on: April 18, 2002, 11:17:52 am »

I put in a CD that wasn't in CDDB last night, entered all the album/artist/title fields, and filled in one of my custom fields (beats per minute) for all the tracks.  Then I ripped the CD.  The artist/album/title fields were copied over to the ripped MP3s, but not the beats per minute field.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Custom fields don't copy when ripping (8.0.247)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2002, 11:48:31 am »

Since they did not provide a BPM field when they programmed it, just because you changed a custom field it is not going to see that info. You must enter custom fields manually
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

koreth

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2002, 12:04:27 pm »

Like I said, I *did* enter it manually.  Maybe I can state this more clearly: if I enter a value in a custom field for a track on the CD, then rip the track, I expect the resulting MP3 to pick up all the information I entered about the track on the CD.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2002, 12:27:16 pm »

The custom fields are stored only in MJ's database; that's why they're 'custom'.  They don't translate into ID3 tag frames, so they don't get added to the ID3 tags.

I've already requested that MJ support the BPM frame (TBPM) and was weakly assured that maybe in the future it might be supported.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2002, 07:46:45 pm »

LCheDJ,

Is that still true?   I seem to remember reading in one of the beta release histories (or perhaps just in a thread) that the custom fields were changed to be included in the tags.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

joan

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2002, 08:28:28 pm »

lise, when you wrote,  "I seem to remember reading in one of the beta release histories (or perhaps just in a thread) that the custom fields were changed to be included in the tags.",
how can that be, when the meaning of each field in the ID3 tag is defined by ID3 org, and there are no custom fields provided for?

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2002, 08:47:13 pm »

Hi Joan,

id3v2 tags have many fields in which you can add "custom" info.  I'm no pro on tagging (KingSparta might jump in here) but if you go to http://www.id3.org you may find all the information you are looking for.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

LCtheDJ

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2002, 09:31:41 pm »

lise,

The ID3v2.x specs allow for a great many frames; some which may even match what we have put into a Custom field.  As I see it, MJ would have to know how to map a Custom field to an ID3v2.x frame, and then it would have to write the ID3v2.x frame.  Currently MJ only support a fraction of the frames available.  I don't see how MJ could write to a frame that isn't supported.

I would love to see MJ made so we could enter the ID3 frame name as a user described Custom field name and then MJ would write that data to a ID3 frame.

Suppose I want to write Beats Per Minute into the ID3 tag.  I could pick a Custom Field, tell it to write its data to the ID3 frame "TBPM", then the data I put in that Custom Field would go into an ID3 frame of my choice, not just the few preselected by the program's designers.

Anyway, until the data from Custom Fields can be mapped to ID3 tag frames, I don't think MJ will write Custom Field data to ID3 tags.

That's my understanding. I invite any authority from JRiver to verify or rebuke these notions.

koreth

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2002, 01:08:04 am »

I seem to be having trouble explaining myself here!  I know the custom fields won't be written to ID3 tags.  I don't care.  I entered values in the fields for the tracks on the CD.  The values were saved in MJ's database.  Then I ripped those tracks from the CD.  I want the same values to show up (also in MJ's database) for the ripped tracks.  That is, I want the process of ripping to popupate the database record for the track in question with *all* the information MJ has about the original CD version of the track, not just the information that could be stored in ID3 tags.

From an end user's point of view, I don't think there should be a distinction between ID3 information and MJ's database anyway.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2002, 01:53:53 am »

What Koreth wants is a BPM field, and he feels just because he creates a BPM field In A Custom Field The Info Should Magically Jump To That Field If He Enters It Into The CDDB Submit Form.

This Is Just Not Possible Unless MJ Was programmed to do this.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

koreth

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2002, 12:09:28 pm »

Um, no, though it seems you really *want* me to mean that.

What I want has nothing to do with CDDB.  The CD in question wasn't in CDDB and I didn't submit it.  I entered my custom field values in the track properties dialog, not the CDDB submission dialog.  In short: No CDDB involved here in any way, shape, or form.  If MJ didn't support CDDB at all, my request would be exactly the same.

Forget beats per minute too.  That's not what this is about.  All I'm saying is that the process of ripping a track -- really the process of converting a track from one format (CD audio) to another (MP3) should retain all the information MJ has about that track, including custom fields and MJ-specific fields like rating.  Whether that information ends up being stored in ID3 tags or MJ's database is irrelevant to me, and whether or not it gets submitted to any third-party database is also irrelevant.  Whether it's a widely-used field like beats per minute or a personal customization like "favorite food to eat while listening" is irrelevant too.  If it's something MJ knows about the track and isn't completely specific to a particular data format, it should move along with the audio data when MJ translates the track to a new format.  (I.e., I don't expect bitrate or file size to remain the same.)

Hope that clarifies what I'm asking for!
Pages: [1]   Go Up