INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: export playlist for iTunes  (Read 5742 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
export playlist for iTunes
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »

I've been using MC17 capability for "export to iTunes or iPod" for some time, and it works as it should.  However, it does insist that iTunes be installed, and it does take a while for a large playlist (e.g., destined for iPod).

For my purposes and because MC and iTunes (different computer) see the same library, the process would be considerably easier if MC would simply export a iTunes compatible playlist (... right-clik playlist, select export).  I believe the most appropriate filelist format would be 'XML'.

[... I know, I know, I could create a similar playlist in iTunes ... but MC makes it sooo much easier.  I cannot wait to try your Mac development -- keep up the good work!!  ...]
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: export playlist for iTunes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:36:42 pm »

Does exporting as an m3u format not work?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

shAf

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:47:55 pm »

Does exporting as an m3u format not work?
I tried both m3u options ... Saved them to Dropbox ... Imported them into my Macbook's iTunes ... And both opened as empty(?)

If I export the playlist from my PC's iTunes (as created by
MC 'export to iTunes'), it will work fine ...

MrC

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:07:49 pm »

Are the full paths to the media files exactly the same on both your Windows and Mac systems?  (e.g. a UNC path).

shAf

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 11:38:31 am »

Are the full paths to the media files exactly the same on both your Windows and Mac systems?  (e.g. a UNC path).

No ... and what surprised me is that it made no difference!  For example, on my Win7 HTPC, I built a iTunes playlist with MC17's "Export to iTunes/iPod" ... and then from the HTPC's iTunes exported the playlist to my Dropbox ... then, on my Macbook, I imported that playlist into iTunes ... it worked!  The Win7 source of music was my external 3Tb drive, whereas the Macbook's source was my Synology NAS, which is a redundant backup of my 3Tb external drive.  The directory structure is exactly the same, but the paths are different!

shAf

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:51:43 am »

This issue is really bugging me -- I'd really like to not rely on having iTunes on my HTPC, as well as put up with the extra time involved with this method.  Mainly, I'd like to sync my iPhone only with a single computer, my Macbook Air.  That is, to use MC to create a playlist, and then export that playlist for importing into iTunes.  This will work because both my HTPC and my MBA's iTunes see (mirrored) libraries.

Regarding M3U playlists (even if I export from my HTPC iTunes and import into Mac iTunes ... or vice versa), I see threads at the iTunes forum that would insist that the playlist (essentially a text file) be edited so that '\' become OSX compatible '/'.  That is, it should be possible to script the search and replace.  However, this sounds like much more work ... and avoids a better method that I believe is possible ...

Regarding the path delimiters mentioned above, it doesn't appear to be needed.  That is, from my HTPC iTunes I exported their 'txt' version of a playlist, and as you'd expect, the path delimiters are Windows (e.g., F:\library\genre\artist\album\track).  However, my MBA iTunes will import this playlist fine (even while the library exists via Samba on a NAS!)

My imagined better method would be to ask if JR could add a similar option for exporting playlists (to MC18?).  That is, the only difference I can see between iTunes 'txt' exports and MC's 'csv' export is MC17 delimits data fields with commas, while iTunes delimits fields with tabs.  Surely writing a iTunes-compatible 'txt' playlist cannot violate Apple intelligent property(??)

I attach a couple of examples ...

Also of note, I don't see any difference between MC's switch to include/exclude path names(?)

TIA  :)

shAf

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 11:28:10 am »

I attach a couple of examples ...

Ooops! ... I appear to have put the wrong example into the zip ... try this one.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »

I have an example workaround if you're interested.

By creating an iTunes Export-specific view with a single expression column showing the altered path necessary for iTunes to import, and exporting that list as a playlist, and changing the file suffix from .csv to .m3u, you can then import the playlist into iTunes.

I'll post if you're interested.

shAf

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 12:57:30 pm »

I'll post if you're interested.

Yes, please ... Ill try it ...

MrC

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 02:11:44 pm »

Ok, you're going to create a new view.  This view can either be filtered to include only the files you want synched, or can have a rule defined so that it shows only files in your desired playlist (see attached image).   The point of this view is that you will configure it to include just a single column, an expression column, that operates on the [Filename] component, changing the path separators and the file type as necessary.  See the attached image for an example.

Now, once the view shows the correct filepath that works for iTunes, you can export this view as a Txt File (CSV delimited) playlist, showing only Visible Fields.  When you've exported it, change the suffix from .csv to .m3u, and now iTunes will import it.

shAf

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »

Thank you MrC for sharing that ... but me trying to absorb the whys & wherefors makes my head hurt.  It should be a lot easier because MC17 evidently already does it under the "Export to iTunes & iPhone" operation ... that is, it exports a playlist but goes one step further than I want because it insists that iTunes be installed, and imports the playlist into iTunes.  It is this playlist that I export from my Win7 HTPC, which works with my Mac.  My method is easier than yours, but I simply don't want to rely on an installed iTunes on my HTPC.

JRiver ... tell me thiscapability will be added to "export playlist" in MC18 and I'll buy it (... although, for many other reasons I will be upgrading regardless ...)

TIA  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up