INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware Video Decoder Acceleration with MadVR  (Read 4414 times)

wewilli1

• Recent member
Hardware Video Decoder Acceleration with MadVR
« on: October 31, 2012, 12:00:33 pm »

Does MC enable hardware video decoding acceleration with the MadVR renderer?  If yes, I have several follow up questions:

1. Will DXVA2 be enabled if an AMD / ATI video card is in the system?
2. Will Intel be enabled if using an internal Intel processor GPU?
3. Will CUVID be enabled if an NVIDIA video card is in the system.
4. I could answer these questions myself if I could figure out how to view the LAV settings.  How can I view the LAV settings that MC auto configured?  For MadVR, I can right click in the video playback window and select MadVR in the Direct Show filters.  But, LAV does not appear to be one of the options.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Hardware Video Decoder Acceleration with MadVR
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 02:03:00 pm »

In Tools > Options > Video you need to check "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible." If you do this, then the answer is "Yes" to your three questions.

You can't view the settings for LAVFilter that is installed automatically by JRiver.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:53:52 pm »

I ran some tests this evening and I find absolutely no evidence that hardware acceleration is working.  I didn't see any difference in CPU usage when I disabled hardware acceleration.  I also did not see an increase in the number of dropped frames when hardware acceleration was disabled.  My hardware is about the minimum required to use MadVR so I kind of expected to see some dropped frames with acceleration disabled.  None of this is absolute proof that acceleration is enabled or disabled.  Does anyone know how I can prove that hardware acceleration is working.  I am running an AMD video card and if Red October does not enable hardware acceleration with AMD cards I would consider buying an nvidia card to improve performance.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »

I installed a new NVidia Geforce GTX 550 TI today and ran some more tests.  With the AMD card installed, the processor utilization was around 60% with hardware acceleration enabled or disabled.  With the new NVidia card, the processor utilization decreased from around 60% to around 20% with hardware acceleration enabled.  With hardware acceleration disabled, the processor utilization increased back to 60%.  This leads me to believe that hardware acceleration on AMD cards (DXVA2) is not compatible with MadVR.  NVidia uses CUDIV which is compatible with MadVR.  My conclusion is that if you want to use hardware acceleration, get an NVidia card.  In my system, I am running a low power Sandy Bridge Pentium so offloading video decoding to the video card frees up lots of CPU cycles.  If I was running a high performance processor, it wouldn't matter as much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up