INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matt!:Create Particles - Playback Range defined by Chapter not Time Codes  (Read 10904 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

I've launched lots of threads on expanding the Auto Create BD Particles by chapter to handle Music BD's (eg one song per chapter) and I've now come across a set of TV Series BDs (Supernatural) that does not have a playlist for each of the Episodes on the Disc.

Sooooo while my begging / nagging etc has not worked, I thought of a compromise that would work with both the above issues and may be easy (I hope) to code!  Would you allow the Playback Range to be defined by Chapter instead of Time such as?
- CH1
- CH1-7
- CH8-12
etc

This would allow users to manually create and name particles that aligned with a (or a set of) chapters.  You could either use the same Diag Box or add a new field (see pics).

Thanks
Nathan

This could be done ea
JRiver CEO Elect

jgreen

As long as the blessed time-based ctreation is not messed with, why not.  Time-based is the whole Ppoint, if you ask me.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

As long as the blessed time-based ctreation is not messed with, why not.  Time-based is the whole Ppoint, if you ask me.

+1 This is a case of OR, rather than NOT/instead of. Retaining the use of time as well could be useful for numerous applications

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I too don't want to remove time code based playback ranges but rather add the ability to just use Chapters (I don't even mind if MC converted them to time codes).  It is just much easer when splitting up something like a Music BD to just enter Chapter Info than first try to note all the start and end times for each song then enter them a couple of dozen times.
JRiver CEO Elect

jgreen

As an added benefit, this may improve performance under certain circumstances.  When I have cut up concert DVDs at song breaks I occasionally find looping errors that end if I move the "in" time by one second in either direction.  My theory is that my timecode-based "in" point is conflicting with the chapter start point, if they are within one second of each other.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Matt!:Create Particles - Playback Range defined by Chapter not Time Codes
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 03:41:25 am »

Matt, please help on this and happy to pay in Muffins or I'll send Jim's Wife a BD Music disk and ask her to try to manage it on a per track basis in MC to see how frustrating this is!  All I want to do is break up Music BD's just like we can with a CD on a per track basis.  Take this Adel BD Music BD as an example.  As you can see from the attached pic, MC already sees 28 Chapters, yet the the Track Listing is:
1.Hometown Glory
2.I'll Be Waiting
3.Don't You Remember
4.Turning Tables
5.Set Fire To The Rain
6.If It Hadn't Been For Love
7.My Same
8.Take It All
9.Rumour Has It
10.Right As Rain
11.One & Only
12.Lovesong
13.Chasing Pavements
14.I Can't Make You Love Me
15.Make You Feel My Love
16.Someone Like You
17.Rolling In The Deep
18.Behind the scenes footage

So in this case there are 10 "additional" Chapters of Adele just crapping on (that I can live without).  All I want is the ability for MC to auto generate a Particle for each Chapter and I can then delete the ones that are nothing, then tag the 18 real tracks up and then I have a Music BD by track - How good is that - all in High Bit rate Audio and Video!  We already can do all of this with CDs but we should be able to do this with Music Video Discs as well (doing all of this manually using TimeCodes is a PITA).

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Here is an example of one I did manually for the Eagles - Farewell Tour (perfect match betwen Chapter and Track).  FYI - it is a great album with both a 2.0 24Bit PCM track and a DTS-HD MA 5.1 Track with top quality Video but is unfortunately was only released on HD-DVD (which I converted to Blu).

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

...as an aside, I've not the same issue with DVD Music Videos as I use the (very old but venerable) DVD Decrypter that allows you to rip by chapter to individual VOBs that I then import into MC.
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I'm listening, but I don't have anything smart to say about this yet.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'll settle with listening, but am I making sense?
JRiver CEO Elect

jgreen

Re: Matt!:Create Particles - Playback Range defined by Chapter not Time Codes
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:31 pm »

Not to p!$$ into the punchbowl, but I suspect there's a legal consideration here.  While there's solid "fair use" support (according to the lawyers I watch on TV) for saving media excerpts, there might just be some legal hangup over copying the chapter system directly.  I don't know, because there hasn't been a TV show about this kind of thing yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 01:22:57 pm »

but am I making sense?

As much as you ever make ;)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:51 pm »

That is what worries me!
JRiver CEO Elect

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 05:11:00 pm »

+1 to this also

Would go nicely with my request for handling of Music videos...
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 03:28:11 am »

+2
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'm listening, but I don't have anything smart to say about this yet.

The Eagles Farewell Live From Melb is one of my fav Music Videos but it was only been available on HD-DVD but.... it is finally out on BD.... so I can now complete the challenge for Matt as it is on the way to him as we speak.... like with a CD, try to rip and manage this disc in MC by individual track :) (hint: playlist 01000.mpls has the chapter marks while the default 00000.mpls has none)

Items Ordered
  1 of: Farewell Live From Melbourne [Blu-ray]
By: The Eagles, Rhino Records
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

**EDIT: doing a side by side comparison between the HD-DVD and the BD version I'd say they are the same Audio Tracks with the Video being encoded as VC-1 on the HD-DVD and AVC on the BD (at a higher bit rate).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

So (for Matt)... the result should be a playlist like the following (note: this is from my HD-DVD version and the BD Version adds a new "Chapter 12. Silent Springs (intro)").  I've blurred out the times as I would not want you to "help" too much (though the time codes are likely different anyway with the BD release I've sent you).  Pls let me know how long it takes you....
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Matt: I see your "present" has arrived - Hope you like the Eagles!?
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thanks for the goodies!

If this works out, maybe you could send an intercom system ;)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Be careful what you ask for  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

It's a great pressing (if you like the Egales) but how did you go?  Have you had the tiiiimmmmeeee to import and tag it up yet?
JRiver CEO Elect

DarkPenguin

Every time I see the subject line for this thread I have the phrase "Higgs Bosonova" go through my head.  I thought you should know.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Have you had the tiiiimmmmeeee to import and tag it up yet?

Mmmm 10 days on and not a peep.  Taking a while is it?
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

We're swamped right now.  Sorry.

Mac is only part of it.  We've got several projects for manufacturers.  Bob is gone this week.  The dog ate my homework.   Etc.

Hendrik

• Administrator

* nevcairiel shoots the dog and eats the apple

Time now?  ;D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Time now?  ;D

;D

Speaking of time, how are BD menus going?  That would solve the problem too (wink).

Hendrik

• Administrator

Once i start selling my software, i'll take requests.  ;)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team

Once i start selling my software, i'll take requests.  ;)

Well start selling it then :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'll take both (as they solve different issues) but I'm a realist as well:
- While MC is commercial I find it is not so much "requests" that works but muffins (and what takes Jim's and Matt's fancy).  My current strategy is like Chinese Water torture.... just relentlessly nagging in my case in the hope that they decide it is easier to provide the feature to make me go away (but I guess they know I'll just move onto other great ideas like the Intercom  ;D )
- For nevcairiel I know it is solely down to what features he wants personally and hence was gutted to see his switch to MKV over BD.  

We are all happy to contribute $'s and while I make sure to donate to nevcairiel when the MC renewal comes around I know that for MC and nevcairiel it really does little than buy a few beers at best so it is hardly a financial incentive.  

That said these requests to help advance the appeal of the products in general and if / when nevcairiel decided to develop and charge for a BD Navigation filter I'm sure it would sell in reasonable quantities as it would be used by a wide range of players not just MC.  Another option would be (given nevcairiel's talent and the current resource crunch) would be to enter into a relationship to tap his skills as a part of the MC dev team but that is waaaay out of my prerogative about what commercial relationship would make sense to both parties.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

;D  I think the "Dog" has indigestion from the apple already!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Not keen on the Eagles?  I must admit I'm note sure what Genre floats your boat.  Death Metal?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

FYI - I was having a look at "Chapter Grabber" and its online BD (also includes an API) at http://chapterdb.org/ where you can get the Chapter #, Chapter Name, and Start time for most BD, DVD even HD-DVD. 

For example, have a look at this listing that matches my "Eagles Farewell 1 Tour, Live from Melbourne" BD - http://chapterdb.org/browse/74866  There a few submitted disks that are similar but this is the one that matches the chapter details when I play it in MC.

Now I can download this info via a TXT or XML file (or even use the API I guess), and while it would be great for MC to generate the particles and scrap the info.... is there anyway of populating fields in MC from these files?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

FYI - This is getting some interest in the main MC18 Forum.  I'm guessing time is pressing and Matt has not had the time to enjoy Hotel California on the BD I sent.  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Not keen on the Eagles?  I must admit I'm note sure what Genre floats your boat.  Death Metal?

See reply 39:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77373.0

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

darn, wish I knew this prior to sending the Eagles disc  ;D  --  I've had a listen to Grave Digger (never heard of DMB) so see I missed the mark with the Eagles.  I see they did do a release with Tim Reynolds on BD http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/964/davematthews_liveatradiocity.html

Sony BMG offers an uncompressed PCM 2.0 Stereo mix (48kHz/24-bit), and -- in a first for the music label -- a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround track at a hefty 96kHz/24-bit. As terrific as the PCM track is, I have to give the TrueHD mix the nod -- simply put, it's pitch perfect.

So if not on BD where do you get such good hi res tracks?

EDIT: I wrote "h.e.c.k." but it got changed to "darn".  It kinda feels nice and "old" fashioned that "h.e.c.k." is a swear word!

EDIT2:  Mmmm I think Jim is doing some sly editing on this post - it was "d.a.m.n" not "heck"  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

EDIT: I wrote "h.e.c.k." but it got changed to "darn".  It kinda feels nice and "old" fashioned that "h.e.c.k." is a swear word!

EDIT2:  Mmmm I think Jim is doing some sly editing on this post - it was "d.a.m.n" not "heck"  ;D
Horse feathers!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Horse feathers!

Balderdash - you sticky fingers are all over this!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Right - the Eagles BD missed the mark .... so I'm willing to stump up another BD Music Video of choice for Jim, Matt (or the deserving dev who gets this working).  I figure better than Muffins but I could be wrong!  Bonus disc if MC can pull the chapter info from the net (such as http://chapterdb.org/ or YADB).

Challenge accepted?

Thanks
Nathan

PS - I better put some limits on this.... The BD's have to be something I can get from Amazon and nothing outrageous like some gold platted limited edition box set signed by the artist of the entire back catalogue that includes a free house in the Hamptons where the band will perform a live concert for your closest 1,000 friends with free food and drinks.  Just saying.....  ;D

PSS - Anyone else want to contribute Music BD's to the challenge?
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team

These things take time Nathen ... Sometimes lots of time......

I see my request from way back in 2011 to stream audio only for video sources might have finaly gotten some attention :)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65130.

Shame I'm currentlty away and can't test it :(

R

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 11:47:11 am »

These things take time Nathen ... Sometimes lots of time......

I see my request from way back in 2011 to stream audio only for video sources might have finaly gotten some attention :)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65130.

Shame I'm currentlty away and can't test it :(

R

...some 3+ months later...   Did anything further ever come of requests to make particle creation smarter?  Is Matt now a confirmed Eagle fan?  Does he have front row tickets since they tour through the Twin Cities next week?  Just curious.....

FastKayak / Larry

Goatshade

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 03:30:17 pm »

Mmm, I suppose I'll throw my hat into the ring for this, since I happened to bring this precise issue up in another thread of mine, but considering Matt's vastly-improving-yet-still-iffy-condition, I'm not expecting anything huge anytime soon.

Still, wonderful idea--so wonderful that I am not at all mad that jmone beat me to the punch over a year ago. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up