INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 - hang/crashing on video playback  (Read 2690 times)

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
MC 18 - hang/crashing on video playback
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:11:07 pm »

Hello,

I'm currently MC 18.0.67 and will upgrade to 68 tonight but upgrading doesn't seem to be solving my issues.

I started using MC 17.0.182 and all was well for the most part.  I converted to MC 18 around version 18.0.46 or so.  MC 17 and 18 didn't like being installed at the same time on my PC so I bit the bullet and went with 18.

Anyway, since day one on MC 18, I've had stability issues for video playback.  Most of the time it was with hulu video but more recently it is happening with recorded TV as well. What's happening...

1) in Theater View under hulu when I try to play a show, one off 4 things happen:
    a) the program starts and all is well - about 40% of the time.
    b) the program does not start (sits at opening).  When I hit the back button on my remote, nothing happens and eventually I get the Windows message stating the the program is not responding.  If I select wait, about 10% of the time it recovers and about 90% of the time I have to kill the task in task manager.
    c) the program starts but after a few seconds of playing it stops playing.  Again wait long enough and the windows message stating the program is not responding pops up.
    d)  the program starts fine and plays all the way through, but at the end of the show it does not take me back to the theater view screen and it just sits there and eventually get the same windows error message.

2)  In theater view, I select watching a recorded show an one of the following happens:
    a) the program starts about 3:30 into the program for some reason.  I rewind to the beginning and MC freezes at the start of the recorded program.  I get the same Windows error message.
    b) the program plays and at the end of the recording rather than going back to Theater View, MC freezes and I get the same Windows error message.  To work around this I have the program run longer and then stop the playback manually and all is well.

When the windows error message pops up, about 80% of the time stopping the task and restarting MC 18 fixes the issue.  About 20% of the time I have to reboot the HTPC or MC 18 will just crash again when trying to perform the above function.

Since I'm not seeing anyone else with this issue, I'm thinking it may be my installation and therefore would like to completely remove MC 18 and all left over traces of MC 17 (including all registry settings, temp files, hidden files, blah, blah, blah) and then re-install MC 18 to see if that helps.  My setup is in my signature line.

Thanks,

Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 18 - hang/crashing on video playback
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:57 pm »

Let's focus on recorded TV playback first.  Hulu gets a little messier due to the internet and authentication issues.

It might be normal for the program to start at 3:30 (or whatever).  If you say "start recording 3 minutes early", playback will start at 3:00 but allow you to seek back if necessary.

As for the seek back from 3:30 hanging, that's not normal.  Are you playing as a library server client?  What format are the TV recordings?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »

Recording format is .jtv

I only have MC 18 running and trying to run it from that one computer.  No remote computer as a client.  So I would say running it standalone or server.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:31:03 pm »

A few ideas:

1) Update to the latest video drivers (this is important for video playback)

2) Try Red October Standard

3) Toggle hardware acceleration in Options > Video

Can you reproduce a hang on seek easily?  If we could find a problem that's easy to reproduce, it would make trying some different things easier.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:12:02 pm »

OK, now running 18.0.68.  crashed once.

Upgraded to Intel video driver to 9.17.10.2867. Changed to Red October standard video and turned hardware acceleration off.  Now testing.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:45:18 am »

Upgraded to Intel video driver to 9.17.10.2867. Changed to Red October standard video and turned hardware acceleration off.  Now testing.

Watched 2 shows and all was well.  Will watch a couple more and then try re-enabling things one at a time.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:16:42 pm »

Turned on hardware acceleration and things still look good.  I'll be gone this weekend but if this is a ROHQ issue with the Intel HD4000 I will just upgrade the video card.  I've seem some other posts that have lead me to believe that the ROHQ is too intense for the HD4000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up