INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping CD always saves files to "Unknown Album Artist" folder  (Read 1512 times)

Don W

• World Citizen
Ripping CD always saves files to "Unknown Album Artist" folder
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:05:13 pm »

Hi JRiver,

I have v.18 set up to automatically rip CDs when inserted into the drive. The problem is that every time instead of writing the files to the artist's folder, they are written to a folder named "Unknown Album Artist", even though the software clearly knows the artist. So I have to periodically go in and move my recently ripped tracks to where they belong.

Thank you in advance for fixing this :-)

Don.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripping CD always saves files to "Unknown Album Artist" folder
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »

The problem is that every time instead of writing the files to the artist's folder, they are written to a folder named "Unknown Album Artist", even though the software clearly knows the artist. So I have to periodically go in and move my recently ripped tracks to where they belong.

The Album Artist field was empty when MC made up the folder name.  MC fills out the Artist field from its YADB online tag database rather than the Album Artist field.

In the Tools/Options/File Location dialog, look at the options under "Audio".  The first option specifies the base folder in which music files will be stored when a CD is ripped.  The second option specifies a rule or template for creating the folder name in which a music file will be stored.  The third option specifies a rule or template for creating the file name.  You can use one of the standard choices or specify your own custom rule.

> Thank you in advance for fixing this :-)

You just need to learn a bit about how MC works.

> I have v.18 set up to automatically rip CDs when inserted into the drive.

I prefer to inspect the tag values from the online database before I tell MC to start ripping.  If something is missing or wrong, I can edit the tag values before the files are created.  There will always be CDs for which the online tag database doesn't have an entry.  In other cases, the information returned needs to be changed.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up