INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu Ray in JRiver?  (Read 3209 times)

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
Blu Ray in JRiver?
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:17:44 pm »

How is the bluray player in jriver? I'm thinking about buying a bluray drive and use my HTPC for everything. Currently I play blu-rays inside of my PS3.

Also,  will the bluray drive I select have a big impact on quality? Or not at all?

What do you think?

Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Blu Ray in JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:54:27 pm »

Yes - See http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray

The Physical Drive make no "quality" difference
JRiver CEO Elect

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:16:48 pm »

yes i saw the feature existed, was asking how you like the implementation? better than ps3 / retail bluray?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:51:02 pm »

I have not used a commercial player (except on a 3-D disk) for years and have '00s of BD on HDD.  Compared to HW Players (Eg the PS3), you will find the following with MC:
-'ve : No Menu (native) support (MC will start playing the main title with the default audio and subtitle streams.  You can change them by using the MC stream selection but not via the menu of the discs)
-'ve : No 3D Disk support
-'ve : Only plays unencrypted discs (with is why you need a product like Anydvd) but it leads to the following plus:
+'ve : No issues with region coding, encryption, watermarking etc - content just plays
+'ve : Playback Quality can be better (if your HW will support) thanks to ROHQ, Enable Automatic Display Settings Changing, and Video Clock (note: the requirements to add decoding of full ditbepth DTS-MA support)
+'ve : Can playback from Disc, HDD Structure, or from a mounted ISO
+'ve : Can manage the BD like any other content (such as coverart, tagging etc)
+'ve : Can stream (and transcode on the fly) BD content to Gizmo anywhere in the world

....plus all the benefits of having all media in one place.
JRiver CEO Elect

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:28:09 am »

I have not used a commercial player (except on a 3-D disk) for years and have '00s of BD on HDD.  Compared to HW Players (Eg the PS3), you will find the following with MC:
-'ve : No Menu (native) support (MC will start playing the main title with the default audio and subtitle streams.  You can change them by using the MC stream selection but not via the menu of the discs)
-'ve : No 3D Disk support
-'ve : Only plays unencrypted discs (with is why you need a product like Anydvd) but it leads to the following plus:
+'ve : Playback Quality can be better (if your HW will support) thanks to ROHQ, Enable Automatic Display Settings Changing, and Video Clock (note: the requirements to add decoding of full ditbepth DTS-MA support)

Are these -'s going to be addressed at any point? Mainly the encrypted disc issue--would having anydvd running simply solve that negative?

At the playback quality: I need to manually adjust some settings here? I already set to Red October High Quality --what else should be changed? I followed the Wiki for audio quality, did not see a similar guide for setting best video quality.

Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:39:55 pm »

Are these -'s going to be addressed at any point? Mainly the encrypted disc issue--would having anydvd running simply solve that negative?
It will not be solved by MC, though as you saying running AnyDVD HD addresses this issue.

At the playback quality: I need to manually adjust some settings here? I already set to Red October High Quality --what else should be changed? I followed the Wiki for audio quality, did not see a similar guide for setting best video quality.

You have several items to play with if you are running ROHQ well at present:
- Enable Automatic Display Settings Changing (so frame rate and refresh rate are the same to avoid any pulldown judder)
- and Video Clock (need to decode Audio on your PC for this one to work so to avoid any occasions judder as the audio and video will slowly drift out of sync)
- madVR settings (pending the power of your GPU you may be able to try other rendering algorithms like Jinc3 + Anti Ringing and see if you like it.  There are a heap of different scaling algorithms in madVR and while there is no "right" answer there is personal preference on which one looks best to your eyes).

The other option is to forget the tweaks and just kick back and enjoy!
JRiver CEO Elect

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 06:06:34 pm »

Will having AnyDVD running allow JRiver to play them? Or would AnyDVD be the player?

And what about the menus and stuff?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 06:09:36 pm »

Yes, Anydvd HD is a decrypter only and it works in the background so MC (the player) can just play the content off the Disc (or the stucture if on a hdd).

You don't get the BD Menus from the disc.  You get MC's normal stream selection method.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up